Thursday, January 17, 2013

(W)REC(K) A BOOK: Spider's Bite


They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

Now that a ruthless Air elemental has killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way good or bad. I may look hot, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this coldhearted killer needs when I'm battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction... especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.


So I understand that this came out almost three years ago, since it was published January 26th, 2010. I found this on goodreads as another series Jennifer Estep had written. Let me just say, it certainly is different from the Mythos Academy, ho ho! Let me tell you.

Not even the first page, and already you're introduced to a world of crazy. Not that her life is boring, but it starts out with her in an asylum. Why is she in there? Well she's not crazy, she's working. As a  hired assassin currently working this case pro bono, we see into her usual routine: she enters the "victim's" world and gets into their head, liking their likes, understanding their environment. This hit is due to the parents of a teen who'd hung himself after being released from the asylum and the slimy clutches of his seductress who worked there.
*Naughty, naughty.*
Gin Blanco, our friendly neighborhood 'Spider' as she's called, explains the reason to the woman as to why she's going to die (per clients' wishes) and then nails her (pun intended...yup. That's how she died), before escaping the asylum and meeting up with her handler, Fletcher. He's also the man who found her after her family died and raised her to be what she is now. He's the person who goes to the clients and handles the money, then goes to her to discuss it. In this scene we see how he wants her to retire, to live in the daylight because there's more to life than killing. It's a nice scene, because here we see two assassins who are really just people like us. He wants her, whom he's been like a father to, to have something better than her current line of work, and she cares for him enough to 'maybe' take up the vacation advice.

After she takes on another case with a hefty price that could just grant Fletcher's wish to see her retired, she's set up, and Fletcher dies. Now she's out for revenge, and the only one to help her is the goody-good detective who refuses to believe without proof that cops are corrupt.
*HA!*
This book was interesting. A little gory in the beginning but I really got into it. I think I was just surprised at how detailed a lot of the killing was (or the presence of so much, really), considering that this is also the writer of the Mythos Academy series. But I give it a thumbs up! Gin is a tough woman with confidence and a stone heart big enough to take in only people like Fletcher and his son, Finn, and other people who work with her. But what would this bloody book be without something to spice it up, like a sexy detective who is all about good?

So while she's doing her big hit, in walks Donovan Caine, the cop whose partner she murdered because he'd raped one of the vampire hooker's daughters-
*Tsk tsk.*
-and from there he's introduced into her life. They're polar opposites, but really, they're the same. He wants justice just as much as she does, only he follows the law to do it. They also have a general moral compass: no kids and pets; anyone else is up for grabs. While he helps her and Finn to find out who'd killed Fletcher and set them up, there's a constant spark between them. She's intrigued by him just as much as he is, but he feels guilt afterward because she's labeled 'the bad guy' in his righteous little head. She doesn't get too close to him except for sexual reasons because she knows that they'll have to part ways in the end, and an assassin can't fall for the guy who'd see a bullet in her back the minute their truce is over.

There was nothing in this book that I disliked except...no. Can't think of any. The bad guys are awful in their ways, but the Spider's always there to take care of them. ^_^

I was happy with the ending. It made me want to buy the second book. :)

Go check it out!
&
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment