Friday, January 4, 2013

(W)REC(K) A BOOK: Vessel


This book gave me mixed feelings, but most of it were good ones, I swear! I started it out with interest, and from there I drove down Wow Lane, OMG Avenue and passed the Do Not Enter sign to Awesome Manor. It was really interesting, what with the gods and 'vessels'. I had a feeling this was slow paced compared to the other books for YA, but it was quite nice. The battle did liven things up, and what got to me most was the love triangles tangled in this thing.

Vessel is about a girl who comes from a tribe in the desert who believe that a perfect human is chosen for their God or Goddess (whoever takes care of them in the desert) to take over. In other words, because of the God's protection, they give them a perfect body to use so that the God or Goddess can 'live' among them for a little while. So her whole life, she's been brought up believing that once the God or Goddess comes, her life will end, and she will have served her purpose. Skip Skip Skip something goes terribly wrong as their God does not show up to take her body over, and then she is abandoned, believed to be cursed in a way. The only God who comes to her aid is the Jokester. They go on an adventure to find the missing Gods, for as it turns out, her God had not abandoned her and her people; She had been taken, like the other gods.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN THE BOOK, DON'T READ ON! TURN AWAY!
ABORT, ABORT!
..........
I WARNED YOU
..............
THIS IS JUST ME RANTING TO THOSE WHO'VE READ IT OR DON'T CARE ABOUT SPOILERS....
.
.

What got me feeling NOT a hundred percent was how the Jokester, who goes on this mission to find his love (another Goddess and NOT the main character) slowly falls for her, and yet at the same time, she is crushing on him, but is constantly telling herself that he is for her Goddess, not her. And then she later falls for the 'bad guy', while still having some kind of feelings for J... it's just all jangled up in the end, and I'm crying and trying to figure out if I want him him with her, or her with him, or the other him with her- I could go on.

This particular part ESPECIALLY messed with me:

When her and the 'bad guy's' bodies are empty (they be dead) and the Jokester and his Goddess arrive.... Jokester goes into the 'bad guy's' body to preserve it, but the Goddess is like:

"Are you choosing her over me? ('cause you know, the bad guy likes the main character too?) Do you love her?"
And he's like, "I think I do."
Then she goes, "How could you do this to me? I thought you loved me?"
And he says, "I know I love you."

Basically he just admitted he loves the human girl for what and who she is, but that he'll always love her (the Goddess) because they've been together for so long... I don't know, it just seemed bittersweet to me. I mean, the humans end up together and the gods end up together, I should be happy, right? So why was that ending so heartbreaking to me....?

Happy Reading *tear*

No comments:

Post a Comment