Friday, November 15, 2013

(W)REC(K) A BOOK: Finding Kia

"Maybe you should avoid me tonight."
His arm slipped around my waist and I was drawn into his chest. "If I only have this one night with you, the last thing I'm going to do is stay away."

Kia Valentines had always accepted the fact that she was a nerd, a nobody. It was a badge she wore with honor, until the day she saved Claudia DeLorenzo's life and lost herself.

When offered the chance to shed her identity for a single night, Kia never believed it would change her life. It was one night. It meant nothing or it shouldn't have. But that single night turned out to be her undoing when she finds passion in the arms of the one person she can never have.

Adam Chaves was more than just a gorgeous face, he made her laugh, but more importantly, when he looked at her, she felt like the most beautiful girl on earth. But Adam has no idea that Kia was the girl behind the mask and Kia has no intention of telling him. But a secret could only be kept if no one else knows about it. Claudia knows and she wants something Kia isn't willing to give in order to keep it.

Will Kia succumb? And just how far is Claudia willing to go to get what she wants?
-Goodreads

ALLYCAT READDDDD THISSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (It's YA!-
*cough*

Right... Ok. I loved this! Airicka Phoenix had me at The Fire Games (or was it Octavian's Undoing?) and she got me exicted for Finding Kia. Our girl is a hilarious, sarcastic nerd that's almost too much to handle sometimes. Kia's used to being invisible, and it's a wonder she and Nessie- her only friend and total heart breaker in the school -ever got together. But they did, and it's a nice relationship. Her parents are divorced, and she lives with her mom and the girlfriend. I like the mom, and I like Joanne. They're their own individuals in the story, but are still super supportive to Kia, which is always important.

One day, Kia saves Claudia, the most popular girl in school, from turning into roadkill, and in return gets invited (forcibly, I might add) to one of her infamous parties. At work, she turns into a total clutz and danger magnet due to the hotness level of a particular customer. When she goes to Nessie's house to study, she tells her all about the party invite and then finally meets her older brother when he comes home. Adam Chaves. And the customer from her job. She's totally embarrassed, but what's worse- he recognizes her! (Or is that really so bad?) It's accident after accident with her as she can't seem to control herself (or her limbs) whenever he's around. And yet he never once looks at her in a negative way. If anything, he seems amused. And he calls her Nena.

"Kia," I corrected him. "My name-"
"I know," he said. "I haven't forgotten."
Right. "You just called me Nena." Yeah, I was so not impressed.
He rolled a pink tongue over his teeth. "It's Spanish."
I arched an eyebrow. "For another girl's name?"
He laughed, shaking his head. "For baby."

excited GIFs photo:  208zjgm.gif

That scene deserved a group jump... It's a great moment for her, and when Friday comes, she goes to the party despite her many attempts at trying to get out of it, and what do you know? She runs into Adam. And when Claudia announces that the whole point of the party is to have a date for the night, she makes the girls choose among the boys' ties scrambled up in a bowl. Kia gets Adam's tie (eeekkk!) and even fights Claudia for it when the hostess tries to go back on her own rules of sticking with what you choose and not switching out.

You can't switch ties with the others.
You can't reveal your identity.
You can't kiss.
You can't leave.
You can't take another girl's date.

She and Adam have a great time together, but when he mentions that he might like another girl, she painfully tells him to give her a chance. Adam tells her he wants to give her a chance, and after a night of fun, they kiss. But she knows that he would never want her if he found out what truly hid behind the mystery, so she tells him to give that other girl a chance and leaves before the party ends.

It's a new day, and she's miserable. It's torture seeing Adam, but when she tries to return the tie to his house via the mail door, she runs into him with nothing but a towel on and ends up hanging out with him- I mean, after he dresses, of course. But hey! She got to see a little something-something when he walks up those long stairs! He catches her watching, too, and teasesingly offers to drop the towel.

hot GIFs photo: is it hot in here? isithotinhere.gif
Damn that boy is seriously fine...
*cough cough*

During their hang out, she says something that makes him look at her a little harder, but he doesn't pursue it. It's a continuous dance like this afterwards, and eventually, Claudia comes up, reprimanding her for breaking the rules. She dogs on Kia's self esteem, and after hearing it from Miss Priss herself and feeling the way she does because of Adam, she decides that she's had enough with being invisible.

"I think I want people to notice me a little. I mean, I'm getting older and I can't go out into the world looking the same way I did when I was five. You know?" I looked up at her. "I think this might be good for me."
Joanne nodded slowly. "Well, all right then. You know your mom and I will support you in whatever you decide to do."

Again, I thought the adults in her life were really supportive and attentive, while still allowing her her own freedom of things. So now Kia's got this whole new makeover (Nessie totally loved helping) and for her birthday, Nessie surprises her with tickets for the annual carnival's last day. She loves the carnival, but when she gets there, Adam shows up ten minutes later, telling her Nessie got grounded. She's disappointed, but then he pulls out the tickets, revealing that he'd been the one to give Nessie the tickets in the first place. He'd been hoping to use them to take out the mystery girl he met on Friday, but then decided that he'd never find her, and so had forfeited them to his sister.

He asks her to join him, and they have a great time. Along the way, his arm eventually finds its way around her waist, but when they go to play a game, she chooses a green bear, and when he asks why that particular prize, she jokingly says it's color.

"Forest green."

It's hilarious because it was his answer from Friday night, but she realizes too late that she just gave herself away. Claudia shows up because it's like, a rule for all evil biatches to show up when things are going great for the guy and gal, but when Adam ignores Claudia and tries to talk to Kia about what just happened, she refuses to admit anything, and he takes her home, though not before leaving her with a kiss on the cheek.

She has officially fallen hard, and then Claudia later threatens to reveal to Adam that Kia was the girl he'd been with on Friday. Kia doesn't want him to know for fear of being rejected, but when Claudia says she'll tell unless Kia let's her have Adam, she refuses and decides to tell him the truth herself. Everything is going great again, but when she discreetly asks Nessie how she'd feel if a friend were to date her brother, Nessie tells her that she'd hate them both; her brother for lusting after her friend, and her friend for using her to get to her big brother.

Ok, right there I was little iffy about Kia's train of thought after what just happened. I'd like to believe that Nessie knows Kia enough to reallly know that she would never do something like that. Kia, however, freaks at the thought of losing the only true friend she has, and so when the opportunity to tell Adam the truth comes up, she balks. Even after Claudia tells on her and Adam approaches her, she refuses to tell him.

"Leave me alone, Adam."
His eyes narrowed. A muscle flexed along his jaw. "That's not going to happen. You can hide all you want, Kia. But I'll find you."
He meant it. There wasn't a shred of doubt in my mind.
I shook my head. "If you care about Nessie, you won't."
With that, I walked away from him.

*****

I liked the beginning and how the characters were introduced, but to be honest, the beginning was a little slow for me. I was like, "Show me the money-!" cough "-I mean, Adam!" Her sarcastic remarks were hilarious as hell, but in the beginning, they sort of got a little repetitive, but then Adam came along and then her sarcasm was funny again. I mean, seriously, she seems like she has a sarcastic remark for everything, but I do, too, so what am I talking about?

This kind of setup is always fun to read, and I like Phoenix's style of writing. Kia is a cool chick, like the other girls that I've read about so far. I loveee Adam, as well as the name, 'Adam', since there's a fae prince named Adam from Moning's Highlander seriesbutanywayyyysss! lol Every time Adam and Kia entered the pages together I'm sure I looked like this to my family:

FUNNY GIFS photo: Kai's going crazy kaisgoingcrazylaugh_zps8ebae193.gif

I recommend this YA novel to those who aren't afraid of French kisses among folks, girls with sharp tongues and drama that makes you squeal (oh, was that only me? hmm) and did I mention that Adam is seriously fangirl worthy? No? Well, yeah. He is. XD AND THE SECOND BOOK'S ALREADY OUUUUTTTT.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hello sweetie! I just wanted to drop by and thank you personally for taking the time to read and review my book! I'm absolutely delighted you enjoyed it and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. Thank you so much! <333

    All the best,
    Airicka

    ReplyDelete