Thursday, January 9, 2014

Should I Write Spoiled Reviews?

Lately I've been wondering if people- authors mostly -get mad when I spoil their book in my review. When you think about it, I'm giving readers a reason not to buy their book anymore. Why should I purchase this book when I can find out all about it here? It's those kind of lines that scares me into not adding in spoils, but that's hard for me. What's a real review from me without some spoilers? How do I convince people why they should buy the book in the first place?

I wrote these reviews to begin with because I had a hard time choosing books to purchase. Every once in a while, I would come across a book I didn't like because of the way the story changed or because a pet peeve came into play, but couldn't return it. Having to keep books I didn't love wasn't exactly the happily-ever-after for me. It only made me more paranoid. As I continued shopping, I grew more afraid of purchasing a book that would disappoint me, and with every book hunt on the websites, a thought would always follow with me.

"Where can I find spoiled reviews?"

A lot of reviews rarely spoil books, but the ones that do were my favorite. I'd devour them whenever I was lucky enough to come across one. Not only did it tell me the "hellz yes's" and "ah, fuck no's" of the book, they told me things that didn't sit well with them or drove them crazy with lust. I love reading about their complete reactions and the lists of reasons why. I feel like I'm getting a great preview of the book and knowing that my money will be well spent.

Now, spoiled reviews haven't always been 110% groovy. There were times when I read a rotten one and was conflicted with what I read. The review was good enough to make me buy it, but at the same time, I felt like I'd cheated myself out of discovering the awesomeness on my own. It was like ruining a surprise party for myself.

So I get some of the pros and cons of spoiled reviews, but in the end, I have to ask myself one thing:

"Would I want a blog of spoiled reviews of my favorite books?"

The answer has always and will probably forever be, 'yes'. I do want to know what will happen, and it's mostly because I don't trust someone's 5-Star rant about how great the flow was or how deep it touched them. Everyone's got limits and book-orgasm meters. If anything, I go for the 1-2-3-Star reviews to see what they say about the book that had it being rated a onesy in the first place, and most of the time, I'm not disappointed in their outlined reasons for disliking their purchase. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a lot of pointless and stupid reviews that have no reason for being counted as a low-rated customer review, but I find that the lower-raters dish out more things about the book than the ones rating 4+. And there's nothing wrong with high ratings and general "it was so good"- but I don't want general, and to be honest, I don't like being a cookie-cutter.

So despite having anxiety attacks about getting confronted, I'll continue to spoil in my reviews. I've decided to change the way I review, though, and will try out slight spoilers with most of the post being about how I felt and why. I'll try not to give every detail of the book away (unless I feel VERY passionate about it, then 'oh well')

Happy Reading, Wreckers =^_^=

No comments:

Post a Comment