Friday, January 10, 2014

(W)REC(K) A BOOK: Struggle

New Adult Contemporary Romance.

Eva Clark has seen a lot in her 22 years. While running from her bruised past, she meets Nathan Brown... IT guy by day; hot, tattooed kick boxer by night. With his rock solid body, deep male voice, and dark brown eyes, Nathan is both irresistible and impenetrable.

The more Eva tries to get close to Nathan, more he tries to push her away. What secrets is Nathan hiding from Eva? Can true love be resisted?

Recommended Reading Age 18+
Word Count: 38,000
Approximate Page Count: 150

- Goodreads

I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This was a 3.5 stars for me, but since there's no such thing, I chose to rate it 3-"It was OK"-Stars. The synopsis really sold me the story, but I think the book needs a lot of work.

Nathan is a major playboy, but when you get to his back story, you understand why. He was hurt by an ex lover and decided to reinvent himself in order to move on, but then he meets Eva, and now he has to change his playing ways. I thought it was a good effort on his part, but the drama that came up from his hot/cold attitude was a little tedious. It also put a strain on Eva, who often cried whenever something was too much for her. I have nothing against women who cry a lot, but it's not something I prefer to read about.

Eva has had a bad past regarding her abusive ex, and because of that, she hates violence. Add the fact that she's injured and will most likely have to give up a scholarship results in an overwhelmed woman. Nathan is the exception to all things violent as long as he keeps it in the ring, and it's love at first sight for them, though neither understand what it is 'til much later.

I would've enjoyed this more if there weren't so many errors. In the beginning, it was hard to ignore the change in past and present-tense, but once the author settled on past-tense, other things started to bother me. Some words were misspelled, and the sentences were awkward. It wasn't very flowing because of the errors, and although the dialogue was ok, it only added to the oddity.

Another thing that didn't do it for me was the way the story was executed- I thought there was a lot more "telling" than "showing", which I think is one of the reasons why I didn't completely fall for their love. It was fast and felt rushed at one point, like when they fought and he reverted to his hunting ways. He stopped it before anything serious happened, but his sudden run in with Eva with the woman still there followed a very unconvincing "oh, I forgive you" moment, where everything goes back to normal.

I think the author was trying to show how one (or two) can survive through the hardest of struggles, but the errors in the book made it hard to enjoy the lesson. If I were to avoid the errors, I don't think I'd enjoy the story that much only because of a few things that Eva and Nathan did throughout their relationship. I didn't agree with their actions and thought it only added to the drama. One exmple is Eva running away from Nathan and Jacob (her ex) when they start fighting. Her reason for running and then ignoring Nathan is that he stared the fight again when she told him to stop the first time. That told me that she didn't appreciate his defending her, but her ex threatened and insulted them, she can't expect him to not hit him. I don't think he deserved the cold sholder, but again I can't fault them too much because this thing is titled "Struggle" after all. At the same time, I feel that their antics would've been justified if the positive things had outweighed them, which they didn't (execution, I think).

Overall, this was a new adult romance that didn't really sell me on the 'romance' part, but I blame the execution and errors. This needs work, so I wouldn't recommend this until it was smoothed out.

Happy Reading =^~^=

No comments:

Post a Comment