Monday, July 7, 2014

(W)REC(K) A BOOK: The Final Formula

To a master alchemist like Addie, impossible is just another word for challenge. When a fiery explosion destroys the Alchemica, the premier alchemy institute in the United States, she's left with nothing. No home, no colleagues, and no memory. Learning what happened seems impossible, but she still has one strength, and in her opinion, it's the only one she needs.

She hasn't forgotten a thing about alchemy.

Addie brews a potion to restore her lost past, but remembers only the flames of the Alchemica's destruction- and a man among the ashes. A man with the elemental power of fire, who just happens to be the leader of the magical community. He might know what happened, but getting him to tell her will require some... creativity.

The magical aren't fond of alchemists. 


Some say it borders on hatred, but Addie isn't one to back down from a challenge, even if that challenge happens to be a man who can turn her to ash with a thought.
- Goodreads

I downloaded it because it was free, and it's a very shiny and promising diamond in the rough! I really enjoyed this book! The characters all held their own against each other (including from fading into the background) but what I really enjoyed the most were the twists of the plotline and the building romance between Addie and Rowen.

Addled "Addie" Alchemist was found by four brothers, but it's the youngest one, James, that she bonds with, as the others are bullies who torment their little brother for reasons not yet known to us until after a few chapters in. It's been months since James found her that night the Alchemica was blown up, but Addie is bent on finding out what happened.

She had a wild adventure trying to get to the answers of her past. I loved the four elements- the dudes who overlooked the magicals -and really liked the thought of them living as brothers and sisters under the same roof. Rowen was a suave and very-in-control(freak) guy who could give Addie exactly what she needed: a challenge. Just like her, he tended to blow things up- what with being a fire elemental and all -but with more finesse. Their first meeting was hilarious. TBH I originally made up an older man (late 40s) as Rowen when he first entered the story, and then had to back-track because she relented to kissing him for a glass bottle she was stealing from him (cause she looks a few months over 19 lol). And she didn't even know it was 'him'! SMH.

These two were always bickering but it seemed to endear them to the other as the chapters went on. That's what I liked; the romance wasn't instantaneous, it was a slow build up of their company being shared and feelings being processed. By the time I wanted them to make out already, they finally admitted to possibly falling for the other. Addie's constant curiosity played a part in the comedic relief because it always came up at inappropriate times. XD And Rowen's restraint- and lackthereof -where she was concerned was just as funny. I shared his stress and worry for her.

On top of me getting my fix of romance and humor, I also got to be entertained with a mystery and the suspense of Addie's past. I had a feeling that her past wouldn't be a good one, but there were a lot of secrets revealed that made me cry. I felt so bad for her, and it totally sucked that Rowen and James couldn't forgive her for something she couldn't remember or change. She wasn't the same person from before! It's not ADDIE'S fault.

There is an ending with a tinge of a cliffhanger... don't know if I should say, though...

Oh what the hell, it's a spoiled blog. OK: everything gets solved and it's a full story, but because the guys feel betrayed, the story ends with them and Addie parting ways. That's the cliffhanger- not knowing how they'll make up, if ever. I'm definitely getting the "1.5" book and the second one. First thing tomorrow I'm heading to the bank to deposit some book change. XD My mind is buzzing with the anticipation of getting to read the second book. But TBH, the only thing I'm worried about is the synopsis. You can go read it for yourself, but she ends up with someone (for use of their lab) who used to be the enemy, and until I read the book, I can't tell if she's just an idiot for going back to the bad guy and setting herself up or if she was forced to go there because there was nothing left for her. Cause let's not forget, after the Alchemica blew up, she had nowhere to go, and since the guys are pissed at her, she's kinda homeless again.

I recommend this (FREE AS OF RIGHT NOW) book on Amazon. I took a chance on it and loved it! Addie's curious and fearless mind was amazing and I loved the build up of the romance because it made it seem more believable. I enjoyed the supporting characters and their parts in the plot. It was all marvelous.

If I absolutely had to add in any negativity, it'd be the small details with the bad guys. At some points, I got the impression that she already knew one thing about a character, but then three chapters later, something else would come up, and then she'd be surprised by what I assumed she already knew. So just stuff like that. Otherwise, it was a really great world that I cannot wait to go back to. I love it. :D

Happy Reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment