Saturday, October 31, 2015

Unforgiven (The Unseen Trilogy #2)

Mackenzie Day is reeling from the death of her best friend, Maddie. She's lost her rock, her partner in crime, and her only family in one fell swoop. With that loss, Mac has lost track of herself, and the things she cares about, including her mind-reading abilities.

When the opportunity for vengeance arises, she becomes so blinded by her hatred that she no longer recognizes the person she's become. As her empathy towards others slips away, even she can't believe how far she is willing to go to claim justice for Maddie.

Without her moral compass and her sense of self, how can she possibly stop a group of mind-reading terrorists from killing tens of thousands of people? Can she see past her anger to care about anything besides retribution? How can she save her newfound family, when she can't even tell the difference between herself and those who are truly unforgiven?

-Goodreads





Firstly, let me just say that it is amazing how this series' synopsis can tell the whole story without hinting that it's telling the entire story. Okay. Wonderment over. *Until the third installment lol*


Whoa. So in the last installment Unseen, Mackenzie was taken back to their HQ where she learned that the attack on the train- the train her best friend was on -was targeted by the enemy. She's angry, pissed, and out for blood. End of book one. In the first few pages of Unforgiven, she's an immobile wreck. The drastic change in mood is immediately catching, and I get the feels as Maddie's death finally hits her, and she doesn't know how to cope. How do you cope when you lose the only thing you ever really knew in your life? For ten days, she's a vegetable, never leaving her room or the comfort of her bed until Owen, her reinstated boyfriend, comes to pick her back up. He refuses to see her sink further into her grief, so he tries to give her another reason to start living again. I thought this was sweet, considering that she was a judgmental bitch to him at the end of Unseen.

That's why it's so SAD that although he's being super supportive, she can't think of being anything but polite with her gratitude. Mackenzie's literally unable to feel. She just isn't the same person, anymore. She's disconnected.

AND THEN, a little over two weeks later, the boss David calls her in to start her training again.

angry photo:  tumblr_li6k88kEbW1qayzvw.gif

I was so fucking annoyed! Annoyed with her for letting her emotions get her so riled. Annoyed that she was in such a shitty situation that ultimately fucked with her head and gave her no other choice. Annoyed that her dad (yeah David's her dad) that he can't even give her a fucking month before he starts hinting jabbing at her to continue working. Like what the fuck!? I know it's too soon. She knows it's too soon. He should know it's too soon. So what happens?

She goes back to training.

wtf photo:  Confusedtaylor.gif

Tracy, the woman training her, senses that her mind is far from healed, but her concerns die a miserable death fall on deaf ears. By then I was fucking annoyed with David for making her work after such a huge blow to the brain, cause not only is he training a damaged mind, he's training a down dog out for blood. Dude's basically making a weapon of mass destruction out of his own daughter. You just fucked away all your brownie points.

The whole time I'm reading, I'm pretty much annoyed with David for being such a fuckboy. I was consistently frustrated with Mackenzie, but it wasn't because she was stupid or anything. I think I was more annoyed with her situation. You can't help but feel bad that she really has no other option, and I can't fault her for the things she does in the beginning because of her time of grieving.

No, I change my mind. I was majorly turned off by her hypocritical actions. First she breaks up with Owen for being a "murderer" when he fucking SAVES people, and then she turns around and tortures/MURDERS one of Maddie's killers? My emotions are all over the fucking place. Relieved Maddie's killer got what he deserved. Disturbed by Mackenzie's easy way of SERIOUSLY MENTALLY TORTURING a guy before killing him via le bus. Was he a sick fuck? Yes, but we don't care about sick fucks. We care about Mackenzie, and the fact that she turned into such a cold... thing really makes my skin crawl out of... displacement. I just don't know how to feel.

She was strong. She broke. She rose from the flames, but she came out a different person. I like this person, but knowing who she was before she became a psychotic badass kills the enjoyment a bit. And I think this confusion of whirls and what-the-fucks is one of the main reasons why I love this book. I'm just like...

amazed photo: Jesus Face jesusface.gif

The plot is pretty good, targeting a group of innocents while maintaining a sense of mystery because you know some serious shit's about to go down. There were times when it didn't feel like I was reading, and then some moments tripped me up, be it a few phrases overused by every author known to man, or simply awkward scenes that just didn't do it for me. Like her body being possessed. That just didn't... eh... Erickson has some amazing way with her words, which is why seeing other general phrases or sentences makes me wonder why she's using something like that when she's already got her own special blend.

Romance is in here, though it's more on the 'what will happen next' than actual romance. Some sweet scenes, yes, otherwise I wouldn't put this on the romance shelf. The supportive characters were cool, mostly Tracy. She had a depth to her that really reached out to me like Mackenzie did, minus the frustration. SOOOO I'm a little miffed at the way she died. Yeah, DIED. The suddenness of it and her existence just getting lost in Mackenzie's own personal hell was a little off-putting. I didn't like that she just... disappeared until it was appropriate to bring her up again. I needed more time with her. :/

You can purchase this on Amazon or do what I did:
sign up for her newsletters and get Unforgiven in return.
I now have a love-hate relationship with this series and enjoy her newsletters.
^-^

I recommend this book not for the cool plot or secret societies of crazies, nor for the cute guys and amazing character development. I recommend this solely for the entertainment of making yourself frustrated over Mackenzie and the fucked up situation she's been put in. I blame it entirely on her daddy and praise her for the fact that she doesn't completely give up.

I think I've grown fond of you, Mac.


Happy Reading 

No comments:

Post a Comment