Sunday, October 25, 2015

Unseen (The Unseen Trilogy #1)

Mackenzie Day constantly struggles to silence the voices in her head. The inner thoughts of those around her intrude upon every aspect of her life, threatening to turn it into chaos.

All her life, she thought she was alone as a mind reader - a freak.

Then a member of a secret organization called The Unseen suddenly introduces himself, and she's immersed in a world she never knew existed. They teach her to hone her skills as a reader, but to what end? Secrets surround her, humming just out of reach, filling her with questions.

Who are they? What do they do with their mind-reading abilities? In the end, just how far will Mackenzie go to be part of The Unseen?

-Amazon







WARNING: BIG-ASS MINOR SPOILERS

I struggled with giving this a 4 or a 5-star because of my conflicting emotions with Mackenzie, but in the end it I gave it a five. Why? Because despite the pain in my ass that she was towards the end, my mental argument concerning herself as a young woman thrown into chaos concluded that- well, that she was just a human being with a personality many would refer to as hot-headed, or perhaps stubborn. Maybe even unrealistic morally optimistic, to some degree. Am I confusing you? Well let me just get on with the review then, hmm?

Mackenzie Day's had to accept the fact that she's a freak among the good, the bad and the hideously deranged, until one day, her one time to take a chance on a spontaneous date ends with her being nearly raped. Mitchell, her savior, leaves with an awkward taste in her mouth, but stranger yet is the fact that she can't read his mind. Who the hell is this guy, right? She spots him again during an outing with her best friend, Maddie, but this time he's with a hunky guy. And said hunky guy sneaks a business card into her bag, leaving her none the wiser. Until she sees it, of course. Cause it's her purse.

This story is nothing if not mysterious. lol just kidding, Unseen definitely had the mystery down, but it also engaged me with humorous interactions between characters, making the ride feel a little more real. I felt her frustration with the group, her struggle between a life she'd built and a life she could've never imagined, and the warring thoughts about Owen and his role in all of this. I was drawn in until the near end, and that's when the party ended for me.

Mackenzie was a strong character who practically raised herself, having been taken in by an aunt who despised her, and dealing with a gift she knew nothing of. With making a life of her own, from no other influence or inspiration besides her best friend, it's no wonder that she exceeded in harnessing her talents. You'd need a strong will to combat a strong mind. However, I didn't quite agree with her at the end.


*cue spoiler*

She learned from The Unseen despite knowing they kept secrets from her, but when they told her that they were an organization of assassins who took out terrorists, she balked. She immediately judged them for killing, for being murderers who would take lives like they were nothing.

Not wanting to kill is perfectly fine to me, I'm all for whatever floats your boat. But I really didn't appreciate the way she judged Owen for what he did. He took out killers to save innocent bystanders, and she made him feel like he was a disgusting person who killed for shits and giggles. If her argument's about the importance of life, well guess the fuck what, Mackenzie, in killing one father, he SAVES a hundred more. In exchange of staining his own damn soul with a mother's blood on his hands, he assures that a hundred other families get to see their mommy at the dinner table. So yes, I get that killing is just wrong, but he works for a group that makes those sacrifices. Suck it up, just like how I have to suck it up that you just don't understand!

Sorry for the rant, but in the end I got turned off by her reaction. I expected better from her, because she had a hard life. I just assumed she'd be mature and more understanding about the way people worked. *end of spoi-* WAIT A MINUTE. One more thing I need to talk about, cause it really bugs me. So let's get this straight: she's a grad student, which means she's intelligent. Why in the fucking hell did she tell Maddie about The Unseen? They TOLD her that if anyone knew, it'd be trouble. She heard about the stories and the hits on people involved. Why would she put her bff in such danger?! I just don't get it! I can see that she needed a release and that's why she told her everything, but damn! Was she really so SHOCKED by the thought of 'murderers' that the safety of her bff overrode her need to offload and feel better? I just don't agree. And then Maddie had to fucking DIE OMG LIKE WHATTHEFUCK?!?! I loved Maddie because she shook Mackenzie back into shape if she overthought something, and she seemed a little 2D at times but her issues with guys and her undeniable love for Mac made her a little more real to me. SO, because I wasn't completely sold on Maddie having that depth, her death seriously made me feel like she died so Mackenzie, with her unrealistic morals about killing, would join The Unseen. Like seriously, that's how I felt about her death, and that's just wrong.

frustrated photo: Frustrated Frustrated.gif
This needed a gif. I was really frustrated with her.

*END OF SPOILER*

This book was entertaining because I love secret organizations and strong woman. I have my personal opinions about some of the things that have happened (some will never make it to this review) but overall, it was great enough to make me sign up for her newsletters in exchange for book two, Unforgiven. The plot was intriguing, but the events itself in book 1 didn't flow as well as I'd have liked. It was more about her trust issues and less about the plot moving beyond her "initiation" in the group. The romance also left me unsatisfied, mostly because it felt rushed due to a lack of explanation on Mackenzie's part. It wasn't bad, but I think maybe Ms. Erickson did too good of a job of making Owen unreadable. Not only did I feel disconnected with the changes, I felt confused about the way he operated. Like, I had a lot of 'wth dude' moments.

Unseen is a recommended read. The little bad there is mostly relies on my expectations, as the general rate of entertainment and sass is enough to get you into Mackenzie's world. I loved Mackenzie in the long run, and her complex character only makes the journey more interesting, in my opinion.

Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment