Saturday, November 21, 2015

Dying By The Hour (Jesse Sullivan #2)





After 83 deaths, Jesse Sullivan knows how to die. As a Necronite, she is one of the population's rare 2% who can serve as a death replacement agent, dying so others don't have to. But using her NRD to save lives is why she's being hunted.

For Ally Gallagher, death is permanent. If she fails to protect Jesse again, there will be no third attempt. After a quiet year the signs of serious danger have returned. People connected to Jesse are disappearing. Her home is vandalized and threatening messages are turning up in the safest of places.

Then Jesse is taken and Ally has only hours to get her back. But no salvation comes without its price.

-Goodreads



*received an ARC in exchange for an honest review*
*if you want the review go to goodreads, this is a rant*
*take no offense to this, it's just how I talk when I'm passionate*


I got this over a year ago but I haven't read it until now (Sorry, Shrum -_-) what with life going on and some pretty scary authors with their deadlines. Yikes. But I live for danger, and I've finally read this. Right now I'm a bottle of mixed emotions, but I don't know if that's because of this book or because it's just me at that time of the month. Who knows?

The story starts off with Jesse dressed as a clown at a client's birthday party. Ugh, clowns. I hate clowns, so all I saw the whole time reading was:

It clown photo: it m_456d665f8e6e4c543df4f60293988b4a1.gif

She's a clown because the husband is a religious nut who goes against Necronites, however, Jesse isn't just there to save another little girl; she's there for a few of Daddy's naughty things hiding in his office. She does what she set out to do, but not before realizing one frightening thing: she's starting to see Gabriel again.

What's already known: Jesse's father, Eric, did not die during her childhood but was actually a Necronite like herself, rejuvenated and now running the lead in the religious department against other NRD carriers. He's a major psycho, almost had her killed by a prostitute sex worker and ended that beautiful night with Jesse bringing Ally back from death... after choosing between her best friend and her boyfriend.

frustrated photo:  tumblr_inline_mfquki8TM01qzqhv2.gif

A lot of bad things are happening and it's all revolving around Jesse and her dad. The question is, why? Well, because there's something seriously wrong with him (hasn't been revealed with the whole why yet) and what does any dastardly villain want? Power.

There were a lot of things that annoyed me, but the funny part is that I can't complain about them. Why? Because the characters acknowledged what they did wrong, making it a part of their character development- and trust me, there were a lot, or at least enough to make it painful -and thus made it something I can't complain about. Someone makes a stupid mistake and I'm pissed at them, and then they realize what they did and fix it, and it's like- damn, logically all is well now but I still feel pissed. It's like I'm not given enough time to accept that they've changed before the same thing happens again!

frustrated photo:  tumblr_lwfq342gyJ1r3zat8.gif

The whole process was a little draining. The only one who wasn't draining was Jesse, until the end, when she decided to be stubborn about- um, idk, not dying by Daddy's hands? Is she seriously gonna fight with her imaginary friend when her damn life is at stake? And that's the other thing! How can she refuse to 'go crazy' by letting Gabriel in but beg for death when Daddy Caldwell doesn't off her right away? Does she just not want to die crazy? Cause I'd rather go crazy than die by the hands of an enemy like him. And if the 'crazy' is something as hot as Gabriel, that is not a bad thing. At all.

My complaints are my own, but to cut the bullshit, I just thought there was a lot of unnecessary drama that played on my nerves enough to take the enjoyment out of reading this. I loved the plot and the eventual reveal at the end, but the build up was a little tedious for me. Ally hates this, Ally does that, Ally cries. Her moral priorities confuse the hell out of me because she judges some of the darker methods of her co-workers without thinking it through. She just did a lot of judging and throwing her two cents around. Even if she amended her mistakes afterwards, it still bothered me because I didn't think she was so judgmental before. I didn't like this side of her, however human.

Jesse... the only problem I have with her is the way she chooses her partners. Ally is this fucktastic woman who also happens to be her best friend since like, forever. They obviously know they work well in bed and in the office, so why the fuck did she go with Lane? As far as I know, Lane is a bit of an egotistical jerk who thinks of himself before he does Jesse. He even admits it to her in the end! So why is he there? I get he's sweet and adorable and hot and has a warm dick, but the way he treats her and her line of work sometimes is just appalling. What's worse, he makes her go through all this shit only to tell her at the end that they need a break?! If you already think you don't deserve her, fucking dump her and get out of here! None of this halfway bullshit!

frustrated photo: frustrated leveragemarkshepardelevator_zpse0ed0150.gif

This is by no means a bad book. The plot was fucking amazing, the characters all had their own minds without me even having to read from their POVs, and the dialogue was fantastic. I did catch myself skipping a few things to get to the point, and now I'm pretty sure it's because of the unnecessary drama and details. There was either drama that didn't add to the story (Ally's constant jealousy with Lane, Lane, Jesse's attempts with Lane) or details that dragged the intensity of the story. For example, I don't need five fucking pages of what Ally's doing in her apartment before something better knocks on her door. If it was supposed to slow things down and catch me off guard whenever something happens, I apparently failed to be captivated.

I was left feeling annoyed at all the stupid things they did and it makes me annoyed that I feel so annoyed. On one hand I see the logic and know that shit happens, we're all human, and some things cannot be handled delicately. On the other hand, my heart's ready to burn everyone in here because they're too prideful or stupid to go on with Jesse. Gloria is not among these idiots.

pitch perfect photo: #Silently judging Ssilentlyjudging.gif

I guess in the end this was just a very intense read with extremely strong characters who made it hard to watch them fuck up at times. There was so much depth to them that their opinions reached beyond the pages and occasionally bitch slapped me whenever they felt like it. Don't like the way they're beating up the female kidnapper cause she's a woman? Sure, go and stop them! She's only fucking helped abduct and murder little kids. Oh? Jesse's missing now and she's the only way to find her? Sure, Jerimiah's already fucked her face up, go ahead and taser her ass! God, lot's of hypocrisy going on here in the guise of character development.

*sighs* You know, I think what also threw me off was the POV itself. I got to see into Ally's mind and it was different. Maybe I just haven't read book one in a while but this Ally was very... seemingly... closed minded. She jumped down Jeremiah's throat for torturing the kidnapper because it was a woman, she got on Brinkley's ass because he didn't want more people to worry about when he's just trying to get Jesse back in one sane piece, she 180'd her thing with Jesse, and she was a dick to Lane. But of course I can't complain because at the same time, she did something worse to that woman than Jeremiah ever did, she said 'fuck it' when Jeremiah and Nikki went AWOL, and she finally, finally attempted to see where Lane was coming from, no matter how annoying he was. Why?

Because of Jesse.

pitch perfect photo:  tumblr_mfm2zaT8kS1qjr5dzo2_250.gif

The whole reason why she decided to ice herself from Jesse was because she wasn't chosen. Kinda rude of her to forget the fact that she died for her. And if she's gonna ice Jesse out and get it on with Nikki, then why make all this fuss about Jesse? I could understand denial but there was no epiphany. She just went 'fuck it' again and fuckity fucked everyone else up the ass so she could do what she wanted and save Jesse. And she expected everyone to follow her, not an ounce of shame for expecting a shitload of help from people she was hella judging not too long ago. But I don't know, maybe I'm just expecting too much from her and I'm really just projecting all my frustration from Jesse not choosing the perfect woman oh my fucking God Jesse!

I gotta say, though, LOVED the different time frames between Ally and Jesse. I didn't catch on until a few chapters in, and by that time, things got really exciting, making me wonder what was gonna happen next. Very cool. All in all: Jesse needs to get her priorities straight, leave the wimp tendencies at home if she's gonna be a bitch to everyone else but Ally, and fucking accept that she's different and that it isn't a bad thing; Ally needs to just accept that she's Jesse's or stop acting like she's still the proverbial light in Jesse's dark skies because she can't be fucking Nikki (who honestly is interested in her) and be Jesse's to-go girl; Lane needs to man up; someone needs to give Gloria a fucking box of chocolates.

And please, for the love of God, someone give Winston a walk.

pitch perfect photo:  tumblr_mf6k63wyb21qa0247o8_r2_250.gif


Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment