Saturday, November 21, 2015

Scales (Broken but... Mending #3)






She thinks she escaped Justice.
He is still waiting for Justice to happen.

She's afraid her day of reckoning is near.
He's afraid his day of reckoning will never arrive.

Will love balance the scales of Justice?


-Goodreads








*received an ARC in exchange for an honest review*


I'm not a stranger to Dale Mayer, having read Tuesday's Child a long ways back. It's a novel I use as a standard guide for other books I come across, so I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that this author and Tuesday's Child's were the same. Same name, I just didn't pay attention.
*...I can feel you looking, Kermit.*

but that's none of my business photo: but thats none of my business photo1_zpsf5c87118.gif

Nowhere near the fantasy-induced world I was captivated by in the past, this contemporary romance was extremely sweet despite its dark concepts. Paris is having to deal with personal issues that she's too afraid to think about, and thinking is all Weaver does with his. Just like Professor Jenna said, their issues come from the same coin if not on opposite faces. Justice, one with a sense for it and the other sensing it all too much.

This was deep reading for me, and with any dark theme, I have to take my time or I'll be swept away by the drama and intensity of serious life choices. It took about a week to read this, the first few chapters being interesting before I spent the rest of my time picking up during caffeine breaks. Not a novel to finish in one sitting, but definitely a book to keep when you're winding down and feel at peace.

I think the most interesting thing about this was the way Paris and Weaver's minds worked, facing a situation and thinking through it before coming up with a solution. I liked seeing the process and how much they differed. Most of all, I enjoyed the subtle point of this book, that although her problem was extreme, it was the fear of something else that kept her on edge, a fear that could've been waved away with a simple moment of communication all those years ago. That may be the most disappointing part of the climax, but at the same time it's so perfect, because often times a lot of problems stem from little ones. If everyone just learned to feel comfortable with willing to communicate, things wouldn't be as bad as they are.

This book makes you think while going along with their own thought process, and though at times it was depressing, patience paid off to see the couple feel a little better, a little lighter in themselves. Not to mention the sex scene did well to lighten things up, if for only a few small moments.


but that's none of my business photo: but thats none of my business photo1_zpsf5c87118.gif


Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment