Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Soul Summoner

Blessed- or cursed -with a connection to the souls of others, Sloan Jordan can see the best in people... and the worst. For twenty-seven years, she's kept her ability a secret, but eleven young women have been murdered in the mountains of North Carolina, and Sloan may be the only hope of finding their killer.

She has just agreed to help Detective Nathan McNamara with the case, when a stranger- who is as alluring as he is terrifying -shows up at her doorstep with a dark past and another puzzling mystery: she can't see his soul at all.

Now Sloan is on the hunt for a deadly psychopath with two irresistible men. One of them would die for her, and the other would kill to keep her safe.

-Goodreads






First off, that ending in the synopsis? I see what you did there *winks* I have not laughed in a long time with a murder mystery. This was fucking amazing!

happy photo:  tumblr_lhinnbLf3V1qe3twro1_500.gif

I don't even know where to begin with this. It was creepy, dark and had a lot of angst for me but it never left me feeling annoyed. Strangest thing! Sloan is stuck in a love triangle with the most adorable guys in the sexiest way possible, but it's not a frustrating thing, which is how a lot of triangles usually are. Oh, no. Hyder wrote it so brilliantly that her struggle with choosing in the beginning inspired me to cheer her own rather than slap her for not knowing what she wanted.

Hyder started it off nicely with a peek into Sloan's younger life, and having her save that little girl? Gave me the feels, but it also put her on the path to doing something more with her gift. She's always had to struggle with wondering if people liked her for her, or if her gift was at play, and I can understand why some relationships would never get that far. Especially so with Detective McNamara, whom she first meets at his swearing in ceremony. I got really excited about them because they were cute together, but when Warren came into the picture, it blew my mind how easy I accepted him as well. He's her polar opposite, and has taken a lot of life's beatings because of it, making me want to ship them even harder.

will smith photo: Will Smith Cry Noo Will_Smith_Noo_Cry.gif

The romance and decisions on who to be with was well done, and I just loved how the other characters not only made their presence known, but helped to move the story along. If she was with Nathan or Warren (or both *wiggles eyebrows*) for a good amount of time, they'd come and move it back to the murder case. It was a really good balance between her personal endeavors and their responsibility towards the dead. The mystery was creepy, but not so much that it overshadowed the rest of the things going on in here.

My favorite thing about this is how I can love Nathan and Warren. It just boggles the mind that she can be so comfortable with them, and there's no drama. I love that. Warren is a set stone and Nathan is an irreplacable guy. Yeah, I totally question some of his decisions (like seriously, dude, Shannon?) but he's an overall teddy of a bear that I just wanna squeeze when he's not roaring at Warren for Sloan's protection.

grinning photo: Dean grinning tumblr_mqiamnJzh01sp9fcho1_500-yep-grin_zps0dc44154.gif

The climax was a good one and I'm not gonna lie, I was getting really sad as the pages shrunk towards being a page away from THE END. I never would've guessed "him" as the serial killer, and when "he" finally did show up, I didn't think of "him" as a possible suspect until afterwards. Again I was blown away.

This is an amazing read. Like, seriously. It pulls off the creepy-as-fuck mystery with all the feelings that come with missing people, evil, and sad families, and turns it right around with the relief and gratitude you get when they come back home. *tears* Her relationship with the guys made it even better and really made me laugh out loud. Warren's this really sleek and perfect guy with a good heart despite the death that surrounded him in life and Nathan's just this adorable friend with his sometimes cantankerous ways when it comes to Sloan. They complimented her in so many ways, it was ridiculous.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves a good murder mystery and love triangle. AND I PROMISE YOU, there is no drama, just good humor and natural pissing contests that never go beyond pissing off Sloan. So many feels with this thing.

applause photo:  hpapplausecrowd_zps7dee2c77.gif

Last Thought:
Her mom.... :/ That topic hasn't been touched on further, but I feel like the way she acted during her walking in on them was a foreshadow.... and I really don't want anything happening to her!
*tears*
But alas.
Happy Reading =^-^=

4 comments:

  1. This is perfection. Thank you for such and awesome and animated review! Glad you enoyed the book! And HELLO... who is the guy nodding his head? He looks just like Nathan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That blonde guy is the delicious Jensen Ackles. mmmmm hmmmm

      Delete
    2. Aw thank you so much! I had a fun time reading and reviewing xD and yup, like Kristin said, that sexy goofball of a man is Jensen Ackles. Positively.... supernatural (yeah I went there)

      And I'm loving how he happens to be GIFing for Nathan (yup went there too)

      Delete