Saturday, December 26, 2015

Demons in Disguise (The Divinicus Nex Chronicles #3)

Survival. Time to make it their problem.

With dead bodies piling up on this side of the Waiting World and the Mandatum closing in, Aurora is so over being prey. So the hunted becomes the hunter. Targeting the dangerous traitor who wants her dead catapults Aurora out of Gossamer Falls and way past her comfort zone.

But the master of deception won't go down easy, armed with a diabolical plan and a legion of evil to take down anyone who gets in their way... including the Hex Boys. Aurora and her six Hexy Knights dive into the belly of the Mandatum beast and wade through murky moral waters where trusting the wrong people is the only way to make things right.

What could possibly go wrong?

In Aurora's case... everything.

* * * * *

Continuing the action-packed Divinicus Nex Chronicles, Aurora and fan-favorite hotties The Hex Boys are back with more mystery, non-stop action, romance and laugh-out-loud humor that makes this thrilling series irresistible. Come along for the ride where...

Nex, Thugs, and Dead Souls Roll!
-Goodreads

I fully intended to review this book on here, but I just have too many feels to even bother attempting at another non-spoiled review. I already did it on Goodreads so feel free to check that out, otherwise enjoy my rants on A&E Kirk's Demons in Disguise.

*Warning: Major Spoilers*
*just the way I like it...*
*...with 'minor' swearing...*

So let me just vent for a minute with GIFs, okay? Yeah? Cool.

Jesus friggin Christ!!!!! I've waited so long for this- song as old as bloody rhyme -and now that it's out and I've read it... I feel so sad. A whole 1,000+ year's worth of anticipation devoured in a day.Why can't I be those people who take months to read? Why?


And what's worse!!! All this time I'm anticipating hours and hours of Hex Boy fun, waiting for my fill of humor, ripped abs and idiocy, and what happens??? They get goddamn detained by the Mandatum! Not only do they come and go in the middle of the book, another character we've kept hearing about is officially introduced:

The Seduction Guru himself, Cristiano Cacciatori.


My fangirl side wants to burn him for even thinking about coming onto Auora who is clearly taken Mr.!!! but you know what? I've been bought, and I've never felt so cheap in my life. T_T A few cute English-Is-My-Second-Language words, a dash of psycho, and a whole bottle of Sexy that God just so happened to 'accidentally' spill in his concoction- *wipes drool* I have this cold feeling- a bag of chills, really, or maybe a bag of frozen butterflies... -that he's a lot more important to Aurora than anyone thinks.

I think he's the Bellator.


Yes! And you'd have to be an idiot not to guess it! He's large and ridiculously indestructible, she feels safe and familiar with him whenever they're touching, and his history of having an episode coincides (nearly) exactly with Aurora's attack! Seriously. The night she gets attacked, he just happens to be going through an episode? Gee I wonder what caused him to go ape shit?!?!

I really hope he is the Bellator because I've fallen for him so hard. For Aurora's sake, of course. My whips are reserved for a certain... Aussie.


I just don't want her to get close to this guy and have him not be the Bellator, because then another guy will come and she's already got Ayden and the rest of the Hex Boys- another is a crowd! But who am I to complain if another god comes along... T_T Ugh not even reading book four and I'm already conflicted.

And you know what? This book really was more of Cristiano's formal introduction to Aurora's life than anything else. Having the Hex Boys take a momentary backseat freaked me out, and I just got plain annoyed when Aurora kept trying to escape from him because she assumed he was there to kill her. NO. If he's taking up Hex Boy space, you better not waste those pages, missy!


Maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if I also thought he was there to kill her, but the authors did too good of a job at hinting at his possible, more important role as Aurora's protector than just being Sophina Cacciatori's son and head of the Sicarius Squad. And ohemeffingGee but I did not think of any of these boys as under-eighteen-high-school students when all these naked skin scenes came up. Like... no.

First off, it'd kill my mood since I'm a college student XD But aside from that, high school guys just don't look that yummy or come off as that confident and awesome! Maybe the rare oddity sure but unless the universe decides to bring all the ducklings together and create a live version of the Hex Boys, the cast in my head are college-level and rated NR-17.


Let's me sleep better at night knowing my lust isn't so awkward.
Don't judge me -_-

Okay, time to review!

This book was so damn awesome, like holy shit. I held out as much as I could and only lasted a day -_- but it was too good to not pick back up. At first I was trying to get a hold of the plot that demons were in disguise and causing trouble (WHY?), but when the Hex Boys got replaced by Cristiano (pretty much) I then wanted to know what the deal was with Aurora and her Divinicus Nex duties. Like, does she even think about them? Or the whereabouts of her Bellator? Or what the Hex Boys are to the Mandatum, and if they're gonna be recruited for showing off their powers?


OMG do they know they just did everything with their uber powers at Mandatum HQ????

Is the series going to take a frightening turn towards the Mandatum now that Aurora is exposed more than she cares to be?? And what about the demons? Who else is pulling their chains?? Just what is going on with Flint's family problems??? UGH I NEED ANSWERS. There's no way I'll be able to let it go... But alas, all analytical business aside, this book brought on Cristiano with heavy emphasis that he's the Bellator (kinda like how I'm doing it in my blog). This book pretty much sets their connection so that the next time Aurora sees him, she doesn't flip the frack out like before. I know this is true because once she did feel comfortable with him, they went to go save the Hex Boys. Like, "Okay, we cool? Yeah? Let's move on."

Okay, the assassination attempt on my boys? Totally did not see that coming. Like first they're here, then they're gone, then they're- whoa, what? Aurora races to go save them, even dares the portal to the Waiting World again to get to them in time. And man, but I wanted Cristiano to touch something in Flint's secret cave like a fat kid to candy and just activate something radical- but it'd probably take away from the Hex Boy rescue. *sighs* And ahh, the Waiting World. Or Dub 9 as I like to call it. (Oh, hush) What's up with it now, huh? It's totally different, and creepy new things are lounging with the ghoulies. Not to mention that some of the Hex Boy guardians are there, like Ayden's fairy, Pearl? She's such a little tyrant ugh. But I feel bad for her. She was unneeded and so was sent to the Waiting World to wait-

OMFUCKING-G
IS THAT WHAT HAPPENED TO GLORIA???


*.... I need some time to take this in....*

And the boys. My Hex Boys! They were so... vulnerable at some points. :( Blake totally broke my heart when he thought they were taking Aurora away. I cried DX I never would've thought that he'd be from an abusive house, but I'm dying to know what happened to his mom and little sister. And it explains why he freaked earlier in the book. Which just makes me more sad. T_T A little more got revealed for the other boys, too, which I loved. Logan showed that he's not all shyness and meekness. Tristan... blew my mind away. *winks* Nice taste of what they're all really like without getting into it too much and taking away from the story. Then again, anything Hex Boy doesn't take away, it adds haha.

*sighs* I just want to wrap them all in my arms and protect them.

So the vulnerability, the intro to Cristiano, it was all amazing male fun. And the Lahey's! OMG The twins, Lucian and Luna are hilarious. Their speech patterns are a little different but it definitely adds to the creepy twin thing, especially when they're all about torturing poor Aurora with her guy problems or getting in on their missions that totally aren't secret at all. Mom and dad also showed a different side to them. After the incident with Aurora before they moved back, it's no surprise that mom would freak after seeing Aurora banged up all over again. It was a little sad, but not so much that I couldn't giggle at the way Mr. Lahey would explode. Irish blood is a blowin'! Poor guy just wants to make sure his family's okay, though, so it's no wonder that he'd get mad every time someone keeps something-something from him.

And let me just quote:

"Bathroom's all yours," Luna said as she headed out of my room. "You'll need a shower. Talk about sweaty. And wow, you're such a screamer."
"Bet that's what Ayden says," Lucian snorted as he came in.

They're so evil lol. Glad they're not my siblings. -_- I get enough sass from my own.

Aaaaand I'm getting distracted again. Boy, oh, boy. Demons in Disguise. Okay. I feel like this doesn't even need a proper review *snorts* because of how perfect it already is. Right now the most I can do is rant about it. And what I have to say, is that this was beyond entertaining. I've already sold my soul for this series so just visiting the Hex Boys again brings me joy. Their rants are hilarious, it's never a dull moment with Aurora, and she holds her own against the six guys with her sarcasm and wit. Don't even get me started on her with Cristiano. Just... don't.

Okay I will. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEIR CHEMISTRY. At first I was annoyed with the whole 'he's here to kill me because my assumptions are always right!' thing, but when she actually stopped to give him a semi-chance, things got so much better. I loved him finishing her sentences. I loved that she always got frustrated and it didn't change the way he felt about her. I loved that he could make her so crazy and still hold conversations with her. It was all... things she was missing with Ayden.


Don't kill me! But it's true. All this cute shit with Armani is what she used to do with Ayden before they turned official. Now that they're bf and gf, he's constantly trying to put her in a bubble and they've only talked about, like, how hot the other is. Given there's rarely any time for them to spend time together, there just wasn't much fire between them, and whatever fire there was, was really just them fighting about each other's safety. It was either them making out, him stripping (thank you so much), or him being a reckless, coddling jerk. I so miss the old bad boy Ayden.

And okay, but I need to say it again. Why is she assuming so much and getting it so wrong??? This girl is constantly assuming things that turn out to be the complete opposite. Literally the complete opposite. You'd think that after all the things that went down with the Hex Boys, she'd learn her lesson and take some things meant at face value. 

But worse of all is her multiple attraction to Ayden and Cristiano. She can obviously appreciate a good-looking guy and not feel anything (like seeing the Hex Boys shirtless) but unlike the rest, she actually has a connection with Cristiano. Why does Aurora have this problem?

It must be it. Otherwise, why give her such an option of someone other than Ayden? I love Matthias so if she ever decides to go with him I won't complain- ahahaha -but Aurora looking at anyone else besides Ayden kinda freaks me out tbh. Like I break out in hives just reading her moments with the Seduction Guru. At least that's how it started. Once they hung out I fell in love with their banter. But I feel like I'm betraying Ayden. But Aurora chooses her flame lord! But she feels the feels with Cristiano....

I hate this!!!! How dare you make me choose between these beautiful guys???? I hate it!


I really look forward to the next book. You've no idea how excited I am, because shit just got real! Finding the traitor is finally done with though we need to find out who she is to Aurora and why she did all this crazy shit with demons, and now it's time to concentrate... on Aurora's true identity. Hopefully. BAM! I wanna know why her family is so freaking awesome. They're a great support for her, but there's also something fishy going on and don't tell me anything different. Dad's too good with concoctions, mom is something fierce, and there's too much mystery behind dad's side of the family and Aunt M!

This is like a dream book for the Young Adult shelf. It's got six hot guys with demon-hunting prowess, hilarious moments, a strong borderline reckless heroine, and awesome action scenes. The writing sucked me in and Cristiano... well, let's just say that Ayden has something to worry about, regardless of what Aurora thinks. I recommend this series but I seriously suggest you start with Demons at Deadnight, or you won't get the full experience of falling for these characters. I know I got it, and I don't regret a single page.


Review is Over
Time to Fangirl

OH MY FUCKING GOD
!!!!!MATTHIAS PAYNE!!!!!


Okay, can I just say how fucking hot it is to see a guy take charge? No fuss. No need to be told to handle your shit and chill. I mean, okay, he freaked out once, but who wouldn't? Yeah, I'm shamelessly comparing him to everyone else, and the Hex Boys are always okay in my book, but amongst everyone else... he's just got it going on. Otherwise he did very well being the leader and bringing his team back in whenever something horrible happened. Two thumbs up, my sexy dark but oddly goofy shadow man. You can stalk my dark hallways anytime. Whip me into shape. Persuade me to the Dark Side. Fill my dark tunnels with your essence.

*You mean presence?*
*Semantics.*


You're. So. Bloody. Haaaaawwwwttttttt omgwhyyy????? I loved that your hair's a little longer, and you felt a little older, too, though maybe it's because you weren't there to annoy Aurora so much as you were there to keep her safe. Makes you even more amazing, btw, checking up on her and shit.

And speaking of sleeping in other people's beds-!
*But you didn't mention-*

THANK YOU, A&E KIRK,
FOR THE SHIRTLESS CHESTS AND BEDROOM SCENES.

And by bedroom scenes I mean Aurora always ending with one of the guys in her bed. Literally sleeping together without her knowledge. lol I'm on the same boat with the twins in that nothing ever happens ahahaha. Damn.

CONSPIRACY TIME

Dubois was a total psycho and I know she isn't dead. It was an interesting plot twist (I'm not mentioning Heather) to reveal her as the traitor, but in a way I also knew Cristiano and his mother weren't trying to kill Aurora. It was too obvious. Dubois, however, I did not see coming until the end. But now I'm dying to know: how'd she get the demons? Who's her partner if she's able to overrule them all with her gadgets? How'd she know about the gadgets and why would someone make such a thing?

And Aunt M... I wanna know how this preggo lady's making shit that makes the Mandatum look like amateurs. Is Aunt M a part of the Flint conspiracy?

Cause see, this is what I'm thinking. Flint's niece/nephew was hidden somewhere and only he knows of the whereabouts (as far as we know). His niece/nephew is the child of the Divinicus Nex and his sister. The Divinicus and his Bellator are only ever couples with each other, and every one hundred years, it's only ever been a male Divinicus and a female Bellator. So why is the new Divinicus female? What are the chances that Aurora comes from the bloodline that changed tradition? And Flint is this tack-savvy dude, so who's to say Aunt M isn't somehow meant to protect the Lahey's? Their creations, after all, are pretty competitive with each other. Aurora may have been the bloodline hidden from the Mandatum because she's not supposed to exist, and she got hidden with- um, like, maybe a friend of Flint's, who shared the same occupancy. And the bloodlines stuck together until eventually it birthed Aurora, and she became the Divinicus Nex. Who's to say the Lahey's aren't special in their own way? After all, they do have these suspicious things going on that wouldn't be looked at twice if not for the fact that their descendant is a demon tracker. Grandma's a self-proclaimed fairy slayer, why wouldn't it all be true?

Maybe the baby was Aurora's grandmother, and Flint hid her in Ireland where she later married a Lahey and they had kids. She passed on her blood to her kids, Aurora's dad and his brother, and Aurora happened to get chosen.

And here's another thing. Fiamma, the name Cristiano calls Aurora? Turns out it was a nickname for a girl he'd been tasked to watch over. She and Aurora look identical. Thing is, he watched her die. Dead end, then, right? Wrong, because despite being an amazing assassin who knows when someone's dead, he had doubt, affirming it when he told Aurora that he thought she was alive because he knows how the 'demon gods love to play tricks'. Meaning, I don't think Fiamma really died. I think she's alive... I just don't know who she could be.


Last Thought:
Cristiano Hot-As-Hell Cacciatori was a great protector for Aurora.
And he did it shirtless.


Happy Reading =^~^=

2 comments:

  1. This review kept me as entertained as any novel I've read! I was fascinated and enthralled...even though I'm supposed to know the story better than anyone! (besides Alyssa) this was so amazing! Thank you! We are so happy you enjoyed the latest installment in the series. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol of course! I don't think we (Allycat and I) could ever thank you guys enough for writing Demons at Deadnight. Honestly one of the best things we've ever come across. Still is haha.

      Delete