Saturday, December 26, 2015

Hide'n Go Seek (Psychic Visions 2)

A twisted game of Hide'n Go Seek forces an unlikely alliance between a no-nonsense FBI agent and a search-and-rescue worker.

Celebrated search-and-rescue worker Kali Jordan has hidden her psychic abilities by crediting her canine partner Shiloh with the recoveries. But Kali knows the grim truth- The Sight that she inherited from her grandmother allows her to trace violent energy unerringly to victims of murder. No one knows her secret until a twisted killer challenges her to a deadly game of Hide'n Go Seek that threatens those closest to her.

Now she must rely on FBI Special Agent Grant Summers, a man who has sworn to protect her, even as he suspects there's more to Kali and Shiloh than meets the eye. As the killer draws a tighter and tighter circle around Kali, she and Grant find there's no place to hide.

Are her visions the key to finding the latest victim alive or will this twisted game of Hide'n Go Seek cost her... everything?

-Goodreads

Oh, shit!


I had the awkward moment of reading the first book, the latest book, and then this book. There's no particular reading order, but this book definitely brought back the suspense of some good ole' psychic detective hunting that the latest installment didn't prioritize. Yaaas.

I loved Kali in this. She's not exactly a psychic (her own words, I ain't saying nothing) but rather a body finder; a seer to the black threads of death who call out to her, especially when someone's been murdered. The plot was pretty nice. A religious nut who feels like a loser and decides to blame it on Kali and her 'black magic'? Um, hell yes! Who doesn't love a good wacko sprouting false prophecy? The game he plays with her was almost like a cold war, and it sucked that he won so many times in the beginning.

She's barely figuring out her gifts despite having it for a while, but something so supernatural is still weird so I guess I can understand her stumbles. Stefan, the sexy psychic who always has a hand to lend out comes, once again, to the rescue, though it's more of a slight hi-and-bye with a small, surprising visit one last time. The story kept hold of its creepiness, and I loved the romance going on in here. However, Kali was a little annoying because her insecurities caused her to treat Grant unfairly and I really didn't like that, especially when he did nothing to warrant such harbored thoughts.

Grant! Grant, Grant, Grant. He was a cool cop, and it was hilarious how he border-line worshipped her, yet incidentally turned into a hard ass whenever he was around her. I admit I chuckled more than a few times at that. And he kept her grounded. Whenever her thoughts would wander, he'd be there to fence her back in and get her head in the game. I thought he was also most appropriate for her, because although she has a lot of heart, she's also reckless and stubborn. I wouldn't mind such strong traits if they didn't get her almost killed every single time.

My favorite part about this was not figuring out who the bad guy was. At first I thought it was Jarl, but he seemed too obvious a choice, and then there was Brad, who seemed the least likely, or Dan, the seemingly nice older man with a religious background. A lot of people came up suspicious throughout the novel, but like I said earlier, I just couldn't choose lol. So kudos, Mayer! You did a brilliant job on that.

And okay, you know what? This author has a way with making things so creepy that you can't help but read her stories under a light or thick blanket. Especially the endings. I think I've learned my lesson in making sure I'm safely in a corner before reading beyond the 70% marking. Seems like every time I enter the last 30%, things get fucking crazy and I'm just like-


Dale Mayer does creepy very well and creates these complicated psychics with amazing gifts. I also love the authoritative companions she pairs them with, and how different their characters can be while still maintaining some form of attraction to each other. A definite recommend for those who love cop romance, murder mysteries and women with more power than they realize they have.
Maddy's Floor, here I come.

Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment