Saturday, December 19, 2015

Now You See Her (Psychic Visions 8)

Energy. The life force of good... and evil. And sometimes evil is stronger.

Tia spent years imprisoned in a 'special' program. When she finally escaped, she ran as far away as she could. But it wouldn't leave her alone.

Only one person can help her. Stefan. But when she contacts him for help, she gets more than she bargained for. Six weeks later, she awakens from a coma to find more problems than ever - and she's still being hunted.

Dean, moonlighting as a guard at the hospital, finds himself in an impossible situation. His belief system is stretched out of control by someone whom he can't forget... and can't believe. Until he has no choice.

With everything on the line, Tia and Dean must work together to solve the problem that has somehow- in a very unique way -entwined them both.

-Goodreads

*received an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

It took me a second time to read this before feeling good about giving this book a 4-Star rating. My first experience wobbled between a 2 and 3 because the writing was a unique style to get into, the dialogue wasn't very engaging, and a bulk of the middle did a weird repeat of Tia getting hurt again and Dean freaking out like he hadn't already gone through it eight times.

The writing style matches the serious ambiance of cop/detective-work, but because it was already a bad start, I wasn't in the mood to adapt. It lead to me further getting annoyed with the dialogue because not only was it stiff, the conversations themselves didn't really have any point. It was either Tia and Dean bickering, convincing her of something over and over again, or mentioning small details that I didn't feel were important. They were fillers, and not very good ones, as some seemed more like rambles than a good, standing hypothesis. I know the characters are intelligence and able to have better topics than whatever I just read. I wanted to see it.

The romance. It'd be okay if it wasn't the most important thing in this book, but because Tia and Dean spend the majority of this book together, it's obvious that there should be some romance factor. I didn't feel it. I expected the slow buildup because that's what it was, but it went from hating each other to suddenly wanting to move in together. I didn't get any of the transition.

                 Rant                 

Let me talk about the good things first. I absolutely love the powers that Tia displays because I've never read anything like it, yet. Not only is it fascinating, it makes the situation a thousand times more exciting as she struggles against other power players on the game board. Mayer has a certain way of writing that fits the cops-no-nonsense ambiance, and the plot was completely creepy in the best way possible.

I rated this a four-star, as it would be a five had it left me feeling satisfied no matter the mood I was in, and I was in a rather lifeless mood at the time. About a week and a half is what it took for me to finish this, and it's not entirely about any problems in this book, so much as it was the way it left me after every chapter.

The first half of Now You See Her was a little difficult to get through. It was interesting, but I found myself skipping some parts or rereading sentences. This was one of my biggest peeves because the writing was already something I had to get accustomed to rather than just be sucked in, though I think it's just a personal thing of mine. The floral old speech is nearly second nature to my eyes so this short, choppy(?) and precise way of writing was just one more thing to do before getting to sink into the pages. Doing this on top of keeping up with what was going on made it even harder to do so.

I won't spoil it too much, but I'll say that with every new piece of evidence that came up, it completely changed the way I saw things and so when a character would act accordingly to the new info, I'd be left confused rereading the same passage until I could keep up with the change. I'd like to think I'm not that slow, but it was other things, as well, like Tia or Dean getting surprised and causing drama. I'd get confused all over again because I didn't know where this was all coming from. So what'd I do? Go back, read, and see that although something was heavily insinuated for the reader, the same didn't go for the character.


That's it. I felt like I was being updated as a reader but whenever a character would throw a fit, I'd get confused, wondering if I'd thought ahead or assumed things. It was jarring, and made me take unnecessary trips back and forth. Not fun.

The writing style also carried into the dialogue, which again, made it hard to get into the story. Albeit cool and appropriate for a mystery/detective-work novel, the stiff and formal way of writing didn't belong on Tia's lips. Meaning, the stiff way Dean and his partner spoke was okay because they're cops, so I can see them speaking like that. What I couldn't see was Tia talking with a lot more formality than was normal for anyone in this day. It was the little things, but they do carry influential weight. To add on, I felt that they all spoke the same way, and these characters are all very different. Maddy held her own, as did a bit of Stefan's. It'd have just been nice to see them express their own individuality through their speech patterns. I wanted to land randomly on a page and know immediately who was speaking.

The plot was very intriguing, but because something kept happening to Tia, I felt like the book was more about Tia figuring her shit out before finding the bad guy. If anything, the bad guy took the back seat, which then made it all weird for me because the story would bounce between Tia's problem and solving a cold case. I don't mind juggling both, but it got a little boring for me because I'm in Detective-mode, and all the action I'm reading for a little more than the first half of this, is Tia dying and getting awesome and dying even more and then rising and- you see what I'm saying?

          Rant Over          

I had a lot of problems with this the first time I read it, but rereading it while in a better mood changed the initial impression for me. Some issues still stood, like the small dragging and the dialogue, but everything else was great.

Anything mentioned about her past was seriously creepy and just-


-and I absolutely loved it. So if you love a good, creepy story with a bit of a side one involving two characters who get their character development a little later in the book, check this out. The psychics (so sorry) with their own special flavors was pretty neat, and I loved that some characters made reappearances to help Tia out. The writing is consistent, and if you can avoid the little things that I couldn't, I think you'll enjoy this very much. Romance wasn't sold on me but damn. This is the psychic-murder-mystery destination.


Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment