Sunday, January 24, 2016

Storm Siren (Storm Siren Trilogy 1)

"I raise my chin at the buyers' stare. Yes. Look. You don't want me. Because, eventually, accidentally, I will destroy you."

In a world at war, a slave girl's lethal curse could become one kingdom's weapon of salvation. If the curse- and the girl -can be controlled.

As a slave in the war-weary kingdom of Faelen, seventeen-year-old Nym isn't merely devoid of rights, her Elemental kind are only born and always killed at birth - meaning, she shouldn't even exist.

Standing on the auction block beneath smoke-drenched mountains, Nym faces her fifteenth sell. But when her hood is removed and her storm-summoning killing curse revealed, Nym is snatched up by a court advisor and given a choice: be trained as the weapon Faelen needs to win the war, or be killed.

Choosing the former, Nym is unleashed into a world of politics, bizarre parties, and rumors of an evil more sinister than she's being prepared to fight... not to mention the handsome trainer whose dark secret lie behind a mysterious ability to calm every lightning strike she summons.

But what if she doesn't want to be the weapon they've all been waiting for?

Set in a beautifully eclectic world of suspicion, super abilities, and monsters, Storm Siren is a story of power. And whoever controls that power will win.
                                                                                   -Goodreads

****STARS: 4****

First of all can we please stare at the cover? Fucking gorgeous, my god. I love white hair. O.O So pretty like pure fallen snow. Not to mention that it reminds me of a certain queen.

game of thrones meus emilia clarke daenerys targaryen khaleesi
My bad, Khaleesi.

Now to the review.
Also, keep in mind that I like to rant from time to time.

This had a great story line that immediately caught my attention. Some even recommended it based on other books like Graceling. The settings had a certain taste of magic with people who wanted nothing to do with it or craved it for another war won. The friends and enemies collected along the way were just as interesting, engaging and inspiring either a particular love or a familiar sense of distaste. However, there were other, more important differences that set the other books apart from this.

For one thing, the heroines' personalities are different. The ones I've read from other series had terrible lives, but grew tough skin because of it. Nym had just as horrible a life- she was a slave for crying out loud -but unlike the others, she seemed to have more bark than bite.

I'm gonna be honest. Nym annoyed me to death because half the time I was frustrated with her situation. I was under the impression that Eogan had to control her and her powers because she was too wild or something, not because she was too scared to do anything with them. Graceling's Katsa was a deadly weapon with a lack of emotion in the beginning because of her training, but at least she DID something. Not once did I feel pissed or annoyed with her, which made me fall in love with her and the book all the quicker. With Nym in Storm Siren, it was a constant challenge that berated my experience with reading this for the first time.

nicki minaj angry frustrated bitch please

Let's clarify that despite my frustrations, I can appreciate diversity. Nymia was a scared child who didn't want to kill or hurt other people, so she turned that blade to her own skin, cutting herself in the form of tattoos whenever her emotions killed another person. I hate cutting, so the scenes were a little hard to bare even if she was making tattoos out of the pain. It also showed, however, just how sensitive of a person Nym was, and it explained a little more on why she would go the opposite of her default character. This girl's a sassy little thing so her meek demeanor is a far cry from the truth, which TBH was probably what annoyed me. But I get it, it just took a while to let it set in well after reading the last chapter.

reactions shrug meh shrugging

The book was amazing despite all the personal things I previously mentioned. It left me feeling bereft, shocked beyond compare, a little satisfied, and saddened. It was an adventure, and although I couldn't enjoy the wondrous kingdoms and lands because of Nym's struggles with her fears, I still got a lot of good things out of it. And okay, I'm repeating myself, but I have to say this. It's painfully obvious that Nym is a sarcastic smart mouth with attitude, and I love it, but her actions and thoughts contradict everything she says, which is what takes away from what I know would've been a mind-blowing experience. Everything else was amazing and dramatic and strategically planned! She was just very... idk, young. It's honesty the only excuse I can think of, other than me setting myself up for expecting a strong girl in the first book of the series.

Maybe that's what went wrong. I expected a strong girl and got mad when I only saw a little bit of it in the last 10% of the book.
Eh.

Character Analyzing Time!
With a Bit More Ranting!

Is it obvious that I can't let it go?

RuPaul's Drag Race S5 rupauls drag race laughing laugh rupaul

On one hand, I can see why she's so meek and subservient: she's being cautious. I get the hesitation and mortification because she's all about not killing. I get it. But on the other hand, it irritates the fuck out of me. Why? Because she's being treated like shit. Her fourteenth owner is fucking nothing and yet she lets Lady Bitch hurt her and her friends to continue her bidding. Because she's a slave.

Justino angry mad frustrated frustration

First of all, it really pisses me off that she acts so helpless because I'm sure there are hundreds of other slaves just begging their gods for a piece of the power she has, just so they can escape the life they want no part in. If Nym could give a flying fuck what happens to her because she doesn't think she should live, then fine. It's just so frustrating that she has the key to her freedom right there but won't even think to open her eyes. Can you imagine? It's like seeing someone starve themselves as they cry because they won't lift their head to see the fucking food right there on the floor.

The X-Files frustrated annoyed x files xfiles

 I see that she feels like she deserves it, but instead of acting like the martyr she feels like, she acts tough. A very dirty pet peeve of mine, characters saying one thing, acting another, and throwing up conniption-shits because things don't go their way. She cries that she doesn't want to be a murderer and take life, but when she chooses life over execution, she doesn't put two and two together that if she chooses to be trained, she's gonna be fucking trained for war. This got to me soooo much, Jesus H. Christ. She's given TWO OPTIONS, okay? War or death. For whatever FUCKING REASON, she only hears "You can die or you can live." She doesn't take in the other well-known facts that any MOTHER FUCKING FUCKTARD WOULD KNOW that if you choose to be trained, you're training for war.


Endemol Beyond tv television angry fight

It just boggles my mind how clueless she was throughout this entire book. Like, did she really not think that she'd have to kill people? Her Mistress even called her a weapon before changing words around to appease her feelings, but shit. Did she just ignore the obvious hints until she couldn't hide from it anymore? That sounds too much like cowardice, and I know she's not a coward, so what the fuck?

Aside from Nym, Eogan was a hot commodity, though at times I felt like his pushover tendencies were mostly for Nym's sake, to pacify whatever eureka moment she was having every time reality slapped her in the face. I loved the siblings Breck and Colin, and they're possibly my favorite pair in this book, seeing as I wasn't completely sold on the romance.

And since I'm being so honest, I'm pretty sure Breck and Colin's FUCKING DEATHS were the reasons I really flipped out about Nym's annoyance. It was majorly emotional finding out Breck died alone, wondering how poor Colin was going to react to his precious sister's death, and then seeing him DIE TO PROTECT NYM-! I was devastated, happy he'd be with his sister, sad that he was gone and bleeding on the floor. She and her situation just annoyed me to no end that when the few good things I loved DIED, I just-

reaction bye greys anatomy i cant callie torres

The plot was well thought out and everything- everything -was simply amazing. You already know the one problem that I had with this. I'd definitely recommend this to my friends, and I already know what two of them will say.


Last Thought:
Oh, and my anger probably raised when the last few lines said
EOGAN FUCKING DIED IN THE WEEKS THAT WERE SKIPPED!!!
Choke on that spoiler.
Fuck.

Amy Schumer HBO hbo amy schumer hilarious kisses


Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment