Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Chosen (The Warrior Chronicles 1)

It is said that when war threatens the world, one individual will be selected by prophecy to lead the Shadow Warriors out of the Land of Mist and reclaim the freedom which has been stolen.
~ ~ ~
Shanti has grown up under the constant threat of war. Since she helped her people defeat a raiding party by using a special power, she's been a hunted woman. Carrying rare abilities and an uncanny fighting aptitude, Shanti is the only hope of salvation for her people. The problem is, she doesn't believe in her own divinity, and when she flounders, she nearly fails in the duty hanging so heavy on her shoulders.

It seems like any other day when Sanders and his band of misfit boys find a foreign woman clinging to life in the wastelands. Oblivious to the weapon they now have in their possession, they are content to harbor the mysterious woman until she is well enough to continue her journey.

But when the war spreads its arms and lands on her borrowed doorstep, Shanti has no choice but to reveal her secrets, plunging her saviors into danger. If they band with her, they will face certain death. But to trade her to Xandre, the warlord desperate to add her to his war machine, would be to give up their entire way of life.

War is coming. The only choice becomes: Which side do you choose?
-Goodreads

***STARS:3***

disappointed glee lea michele rachel berry

I wanted to love this as much as I did with Breene's Darkness series, but it was just too strung out. 

This was a pretty great read. I loved the world Breene created and the way the characters interacted with Shanti. A little on the quiet side, their personalities still managed to come out beyond the pages, at least enough to make me like them. Shanti was a little frustrating because she stayed in a place that constantly rebuked her own thoughts and beliefs. Then she falls for it, and despite now liking the men and seeing the peacefulness the innocence have, she still insists on leaving. Seemed like unnecessary drama that her sparkling personality only made worse. She hides away this powerful person for the sake of secrecy, but at the same time, she can't help but let her military tendencies out with the fellow warriors who believe that women are too delicate to do anything beside needlepoint. I'm still trying to get my head around this woman, but I think I was just disappointed with the way things were executed. Could've been a little smoother...

disappointed sad naomi watts

Let me get a few of my issues out of the way.

I absolutely FELL HARD for this author's Darkness series because of how perfect a lot of things were. There were even some similarities like the massive nudity normalcy and the intense fighting (shadow people anyone?). My expectation with knowing how she can write was part of my downfall in expecting the same out of her new series. It was a full-length novel rather than a bunch of novellas, but I feel like I got more out of the latter. There was too much detail. I usually love that, but in this case, it just felt like fillers for the major scenes. Too much detail in the journey that starts off the book, too much detail in the things that offer nothing to the story itself, too much detail in the way they fight every single time. Just. Too. Much.

It took away from my pleasure of being hyped up with this because as soon as a good scene was interrupted by more details of DETAILS, I just lost my momentum. 

baby sad upset disappointed frown

And okay, another thing that gets me is that the details in the synopsis tells more than the story! What the heck? You only hear about the Shadow Warriors a few times, and even then, you don't get to hear about her duty, the very thing that drives her to kill and abandon people she'd be better off with rather than against. Then again, maybe I did skip over some important stuff that just didn't have anything to do with the Captain. Huh.

hbo game of thrones got sassy arya stark
I'll go back and read the sections I marked

I'm just disappointed that I got all this good hype and ended up with a woman I don't know much about, sitting on the fence of staying or going while maintaining this 'I Know Everything And Nothing' facade. It was cute for only so many chapters before my annoyance washed it all away. *sighs* Major bad mix of peace and impending doom, but maybe I'll feel different if I read again. A lot of the execution was just off-kilter for me, and I really wish it'd grabbed my attention like the author's other works. This had so much potential to draw me in. I guess it just felt like an introduction to what the synopsis dishes out, so I'm partially annoyed that I have to wait for the other books to then read what originally caught my attention.

Still, overall entertaining read with a bit of lagging but I do like this author so I'm not giving up just yet. Until then...

ryan reynolds confused lost where am i?

Happy Reading =^_^=

No comments:

Post a Comment