Sunday, February 7, 2016

Highlander's Castle (Highlander Heat 1)

Traveling through time... for a Highlander.

Anne MacLeod's identical ancestor has made a wish on the Fairy Flag at Dunvegan Castle, one which sees the two young women swapping places in time and leaving Anne to handfast with the very man her ancestor wished to escape. Only Anne sees the possibilities, because now she could change the future and ensure her parents never perished in the inferno which took their lives.

Highland warrior Alex MacDonald has made an agreement to handfast with Anne in order to bring a halt to the feud raging between their clans. The last thing he expects though is a woman claiming to come from the future, a woman who stirs him on a physical and emotional level to protect, and to even believe.

When Anne finds herself in her MacLeod chief's presence, she chooses to go with him in order to leave a message for her parents. In full pursuit, Alex wages a battle of the heart, and of the very essence of time. Can he defy the odds as Anne is taken from him... to work his own magic and get her back?

- Goodreads

***STARS: 3***

RuPaul's Drag Race dancing yes yas shimmy

This was a moderate good read because I love highlanders and time traveling pretty much anywhere in Scotland. While I adored Anne's easy acceptance to time traveling and being thrust in a role she didn't originally sign up for, I thought it was a little unrealistic, only because her lack of reluctance wasn't explained as thoroughly as I'd have liked. The same goes with Alex, who went from not wanting to hear it to suddenly believing her, and all because of some odd-looking things that he'd never seen before.

They're in a time where new things are being invented. I highly doubt that he'd just jump on the wagon because of something he couldn't recognize. Fifty years ago his grandparents would've called the phones witchcraft! But that's just me.

shrug saved by the bell eh zack morris 

Aside from the way Anne and James acted, their romance was still pretty cute, but it got boring after a few pages because they were terribly cheesy. I love cheesy, but when they start saying words to each other that the rest of this damn planet's reiterated to their horrid pleasure, it grows sour real fast. I also got annoyed at Anne because their romance enticed me enough to fall for them, but as soon as she has an opportunity to save her parents, she just cuts him and his clan off cold by going back 'home' with her cousin when he comes for her.

I get that she was preventing a fight between the two clans, but from what I read, only one thing mattered. "To hell with everyone else" is the impression I got. She totally left them and let her cousin think he was right to cancel their handfast and bring her back home. She acted like she was desperate to go home, and that wasn't cool. But again, that's just my experience reading this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she found a way to save her parents from an untimely death, but shit, she didn't have to act like Alex them were a hindrance. He's the fucking 'love of her life' she gets these otherworldly feelings about, the least she could do is at least feel like she's hesitant to abandon her mother-in-law who looks like she'll pass out from the whole thing.

That rant's pretty much why I rated this book so low. I was annoyed and that feeling didn't go away because Anne didn't get any better in my eyes. She's like a fairy, only able to concentrate on one thing at a time, or something. The characters could've been brought out more, the plot felt smaller than whatever happened in here, and the dialogue was a bit boring at times. I can say that because instead of skipping to the dialogue I skipped them talking and emerged myself in the detailed writing. Details and scenery were pretty good so I'll give them that. The whole thing overall was okay, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they too liked highlanders and time traveling. If this didn't have those two things, I don't know if I'd have liked it.

Last Thought:
I LOVED the opening, before she accepted what was going on, and to be honest, she felt like a different woman then. After she went along with everything... I don't know. Seemed more like she entered a dreamworld and had a makeover.

idk the office shrug karen


Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment