Friday, February 5, 2016

#FILIPINOFRIDAY: Songs of Our Breakup (Playlist 1)


Every breakup has its playlist. How do you get over a seven-year relationship?

21-year-old Jill is trying to find out. But moving on is a harder job when Kim, her ex-boyfriend, is the lead guitarist of the band, and Jill is the vocalist. Every song they play together feels like slicing open a barely healed tattoo. Jill's best friend Miki says she will be out of this gloom soon. Breakups have a probation period, he says.

Jill is on the last month of hers and Miki is patiently keeping her company. But the real silver lining is Shinta. Having a hot Japanese actor friend in times like these is a welcome distraction. This gorgeous celebrity has been defying time zones and distance through the years to be there for Jill. Now he is here, physically present, and together he and Jill go through old lyrics, vivid memories, walks in the rain, and bottles of beer.

Together they try to answer the question: what do you do when forever ends?

-romanceclass

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Jay E. Tria is inspired by daydreams, celebrity crushes, a childhood fascination of Japanese drama and manga, and an incessant itch to travel. She writes contemporary young adult and new adult romance. Sometimes, paranormal fantasy too. 
Visit her website at www.jayetria.com.

Feel free to stalk her at the following:


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

*****STARS: 5*****

jon stewart fangirling reactions excited fangirl

It only now occurred to me that the guitar on the cover is Julia -_- but what can I say? This book was so good, it distracted me from the things normal people notice right away.


And okay, it's only the second time I'm saying this with this author, but...

THIS WAS SO FUCKING CUTE!!!!! Omg I can't even put it into words, but it definitely made me feel like my heart was being wrapped up in a cozy blanket while reading this. Songs of Our Breakup centers around Jill during her three-month probation.
"Three months of hope?"
Miki raised a hand to her cheek and wiped a stray tear with his thumb. "Three months to figure out how to move on." 
It goes between the past and future, building up the suspense as we get a little information on what exactly happened. She had a hard time moving on because she and her ex were in the same band, but of course as the dumper, he has no problem pretending she doesn't exist. I wouldn't know how to feel with having to see someone who used to be my world suddenly act like I didn't matter. You can't take back those kind of things, you know?

And what a jerk! He broke up with her over text! TEXT! They weren't a random hookup or a year-trial relationship, they practically grew up together. I totally hate him right now for treating someone so special like that. Like... shit, you couldn't have the decency to tell it to her face? That totally turned me off for him, but of course as the story progressed, I fell a little at the way they were before they broke up. By then I had to admit that he was a complex character who just... changed.

rupaul slap evil laugh bitch slap
*Still wanna slap him, though.*

And let's be honest, Jill didn't exactly help some of the situations. Am I making an excuse? Of course not. But I do sorta see where his irritation came from where Shinta was concerned. She and the Japanese hottie actor had a strong connection, and he was threatened by that. However, he still didn't have the right to tell her who she was allowed to be friends with. Obvious no-no for Boyfriend. But seriously, did she really have to tell him that she didn't think Shinta would want anything to do with a commoner like her? Like... girl, you are not helping his jealousy issue. Just because you don't see yourself as desirable, doesn't mean the other guys are just as blind.

So they both had faults. Jill was low on self-esteem (or just painfully oblivious about how hot she was to guys) and Kim was a bossy idiot, and yeah that's just his character, but it didn't help him with me. I already wanted to kill him for hurting Jill over fucking text-

*Are you seriously bringing that up again-*
RealityTVGIFs yes yeah rhoa real housewives of atlanta

The whole thing was a fun ride for me. I couldn't stop reading and I just loved the way her mind flowed, as well as the others as they took their turns in telling their POV. At times I was pleasantly surprised when a character would take on the lead because then I'd be like, "Whaa-? I never considered him!" And it'd just be a whole big mess in my sternum again... *sighs*

And Shinta...

time recap upon december fangirl


AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

He's such a cutie. A beautiful hunky cutie with a hard body in all the right places- *cough* -it's a wonder Jill and Kim didn't break up the first time she saw him. I feel bad for saying it, cause they really were cute when he wasn't being a dick, but come on! Even Jill was like, "Whoa", when she saw him, and we all know Kim was like, "Shit", when Kenshin Guy over here was walking in all hot and-


johnny depp cry baby sexy flirting horny
*I need to stop...*

I LOVED the relationship he had with his mother. She was so adorable and I just liked how she was a secondary character but had such a huge hand in everything! And okay, I can't let this go, but what a little shit Shinta was! He had Jill's picture on his phone and of course all the guys saw it (ex included). I think I fell for him a little more by that point.
Shinta leaned in, knocking his forehead softly against hers. 
"I'm glad I'm here too."  
I'm glad he was it for Jill. They were just so CUTE together, being so close mentally, emotionally and physically, but still maintaining that boundary until Jill was ready to accept that such a thing could actually be possible. I'm glad he was so patient with her, waiting until she was over Kim to then realize that what she had with Shinta was something special. 

He was really good for her. Jill felt really low and he was there to help her up, reminding her that she wasn't b-br-broken-n---


sweating hot james mcavoy fanning
*sexy time flashback.*
*Oh my.*

He was just FUCKING PERFECT. I totally ate up every single smile, turn, position and word he provided for my entertainmentttttt and I need to stop before I combust. Jesus. He was just great for her, and although it was a little obvious that he'd be with her in the end, (I mean come on, he's mentioned in the synopsis as kinda it, you know?) at the same time, when Miki got mentioned, I was just flabbergasted. Like, whoa. I didn't even think to add him in until that small mention with weirdo Kim! And then- BAM.

Miki was cute. He grew on me the moment his true feelings were revealed, and like... just wow. Just. Wow. I'm just shocked because when he came onto the playing field, to be honest... I don't think I would've been too surprised if she'd ended up with him.


giggle reactions laughing laugh marilyn monroe

I know, I know! But trust me, the way it was written? I think I would've been okay. I mean, on one hand I'm sad that he doesn't get a HEA, but at the same time, I don't feel too bad, mostly because he realized 'he wasn't built to lose his best friend'. I wanted him to fight, but when he didn't, it just left me feeling sad.

This was overall a great read. The author wrote it so well, not once did I feel the need to skim through anything. I devoured every word and moment. I liked the back and forth, like a layer being pulled back to reveal more and more. The characters were cute and Nino and Son were cool, but they weren't as present in my mind as the others were. Son is the hilarious little cutie, and Nino's this guy who can't commit to air, but I think they could've been more dimensional. Or maybe I was just too obsessed with getting Kim's balls to really pay attention.


T-Mobile Puerto Rico whatever shrug meh hmm

The tense tripped me up a little bit as did the tiny errors like an extra word, but I could count the errors on one hand so it's alright. Otherwise, I thought everything else was perfect and I thoroughly enjoyed this. It was sweet and soft but still managed to pull off the harsher stuff like drinking, one's darker moments, and.... sexy time.

This is a hardcore recommend for anyone who loves romance and writing that makes me think of pastel colors. Random, I know, but I don't know how else to explain it. It was just so...

cute rihanna laughing smiling


And while you're add it, check out the book at these sites!





Before you go...

If you're new, this post (and two others) are all a part of #FilipinoFriday, a fun partake in reading books based in the Philippines by Filipino authors and reviewing them on your own blog or that of
Binibini!
Who is Binibini, you may ask?
Why, the lovely blogger who introduced me to such a treat! You can click on the banner at the top to check her out and find out more on where to sign up and choose the books/dates you wish to read and review.
Interested?
I know you are.
creep creeper creeping reaction smile

Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment