Tuesday, February 23, 2016

White Hart (White Hart 1)

Mae never asked to be craft-born. She never wanted that burden.

The realm needs magic again, and the King of Aegunlund has been waiting for the first craft-born to marry his son, Prince Casimir.

In Mae's town of Halts-Walden, the ambitious miller claims his daughter Ellen is craft-born. Mae knows this is a load of hogwash, but she's glad Ellen will have the unfortunate pleasure of becoming queen instead of her. All she has to do is sit back and wait until Casimir and Ellen are married, then she will finally be free of the threat of her fate.

But on that day an event so shocking and terrible occurs that Mae finds herself entering the neighbouring cursed forest on a quest she never thought she'd have to follow.

Join Mae as she rides her white stag through the Waerg Woods with a pampered prince at her heels. She's out for revenge and nothing, no one, will get in her way.

-Goodreads

****STARS: 3.5****

i love lucy eh love reaction thread

UUGGHH I REALLY WANTED TO LOVE the shit out of this thing, but because the characters were so young, I ruined the moment for myself in expecting things to be better than they were. This was good! It had everything I love in a book: the village, the powerful girl trying to hide as the rest of the world searches for her, the prince, the adventure, the romance. White Hart had it all, and I think I would've loved it... if I were back in middle school.

It started off great with the antsy Mae wanting more than she's dealt with. She lives in a secluded village with her widowed father, and because of her mom's mysterious background, a lot of the people treat them poorly. Though I wouldn't exactly be looking at Mae all weird and judgmental like if I were them, at least not with those faces and hygiene... or lack thereof.

Entertainment Tonight drinking tea shade golden globes 2016

The beginning was all exciting and shit, and I think you'd really like it! But then Mae and Prince Casimir got put together in the forest, and it just got awkwardly young for me. Yeah we were all young once, but damn, I wasn't that young. I don't know about you, but I couldn't relate. Maybe you could? Anyway the forest was cool and dastardly delicious. Casimir was kind of a wimp / kinda awesome. Mae gave me whiplash with her passive aggressive attitude, but she still found a way into my heart.
*I think we have a thing for free-spirited teens*

Free-spirited. Right. So back to the review. Book was good and it started out great, then got a little boring with the awkward romance that I couldn't get into. The forest's psychotic inhabitants were cool, and they did keep me entertained, but I also found myself a little restless because I wanted to see the story from a broader perspective and not dilly-dally in the vegetation isle of Killers-R-Us. And okay, that one group of people that try to kill her? Totally random. The only thing they have to do with this story is that they live in the forest. Otherwise, I just didn't see a point in them being mentioned and getting to add in their own two cents. I didn't like the character that became important to Mae because I couldn't connect. I want to connect to the people Mae cares about, and the fact that I couldn't, only made it hard for me to like their involvement to begin with. Dude was rushed in, and expected to be loved in just a few pages. Not very cool.

When the end did come up, I was disappointed with how it happened. Compare it to the way the other scenes were steam-rolling, and it kinda feels like a let down. Just anti-climatic. Yes, there was a badass storm but, dude, seriously? That's all? And shit, Casimir! Way to treat your supposed 'best friend'.

really kathy griffin



Overall, it was an okay read for me, with a pretty good story. Mae was really stubborn and hot-headed in the beginning, and her issues of hubris and self-confidence didn't make it easier for me to trudge through.
*And yet you still like her...*

You can't blame her, though. She's a poor man's daughter whose mother died in childbirth, and with the weight of such responsibilities as being the only person with powers to fill the rest of the world, it's no wonder that she's so complex. Who wouldn't be? Aside from her, the other characters were okay, and the only one I really liked (to hate) was the king. Someone needs to dethrone that twit soon...

This had some funny moments, a lot of good visuals, and there were a few times of enthrallment. This is a 50/50 recommend for me. Mae's not as developed as I'd have liked her to be for me to entrust her to a young mind I know, but the world was cool enough to be good for entertainment purposes.

Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment