Monday, April 11, 2016

Highland Barbarian (Highlander 1)

Death and Deception...

Meredith MacAlpin, Scottish noblewoman, is kidnapped at the altar by infamous Highland Barbarian, Brice Campbell, and spirited away to his fortress in the Highlands. It is rumored that he is the one who has killed her people in a series of raids.

Brice Campbell is desperate to prove his innocence and bring peace to his people but when he kills the wrong man, his enemy vows revenge.

Can enemies become lovers? Is love strong enough to defy even death?

-Goodreads



****STARS: 4****


This wasn't bad. I love anything with highlanders, and this story was really enticing with the whole kidnapping ordeal turning into something more elaborate. Her time with him hooked me in because they come from such different backgrounds, but essentially, they're the same inside and that's why they feel so drawn to the other. I also loved their interaction with the rest of his people in the keep. The queen was a saucy thing, especially when it came to her games. I've got to say, that's one of my favorite things about this story. Her mischievous ways really made it more interesting between Meredith and Brice, at all parts of the book.

The flow was pretty good and kept my interest peeked,  but a few times the character's gullibility brought up bouts of frustration. It'd ruin my overall satisfaction with everything else, mostly because she's such a smart and strong woman; for Meredith to not understand what a halfwit prick is up to, makes me feel like I didn't connect with her like I thought I had. Their romance was sweet and thrilling because I didn't know where it was going to go, what with them both being leaders with their own weight in responsibilities.

One scene bugs me, and it's when the bad guy comes in one last time. It just didn't seem very realistic because he, a hunted man all over the country by order of the queen, somehow manages to sneak into the queen's own guest quarters....? How is that even possible? The only excuse I can think to dismiss this is that the queen isn't as heavily guarded as I assumed. Or he's sneakier than I thought...? O.o

Her adventure with the 'barbarians' in their home was great to read and it's an overall recommend.

Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment