Wednesday, May 11, 2016

ARC: Rough Rider

He's the worst person I know.
And the best thing that ever happened to me.

MERRYN

My life used to be empty. I was restless, bored, and stuck at a job I hate. Then my co-worker took me to that new bar and my life turned upside-down.

That's when I met him.

Big, strong, and cocky as hell... if you know what I mean.

I didn't know he was in a gang. I didn't know he was dangerous. And I didn't know the next time we met he would be saving my life.

But now I'm in danger, and I have to stay with him for two days.

Lucky me, right?
JAKE

I didn't know what I wanted until I met her. Cute, curvy, and the best fuck of my life. This woman is everything and more.

But it wasn't supposed to keep going. It was supposed to end at that bar. And we were definitely never supposed to see each other again.

Now she's in danger and I'm the one who made that happen. I'm going to keep her protected. I'm going to get her back alive.

And in the meantime, I'm going to make sure she's mine.

Rough Rider is a full-length bad boy romance novel with NO CLIFFHANGERS and NO CHEATING. It contains dark themes, a happy ending, and some of the hottest sex you'll ever read!
-Goodreads

*received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review*

***STARS: 3.5***
jennifer lawrence reactions whatever nodding mmhmm

After reading this book, I certainly didn't feel the things the synopsis promised. She was a woman needing something better than the life she didn't like. He was a guy who wanted her. That's not exactly what I got.

reactions kristen stewart yes okay k

What I got instead was a woman who felt like she was contradicting herself despite knowing better and a man who ended up being rather vulnerable and dense. These are just my personal problems so it's nothing against the story; if anything, it may add to it, showing that not all of us are perfect no matter how Hollywood our lives may seem.

Main thing I'm trying to communicate here is that these characters changed before my eyes VERY quickly, and it gave me whiplash, because at times I felt a bit ambushed. But again, I might have done it to myself in assuming things. And you know what they say about assuming...

Real housewives of Atlanta tv rhoa phaedra parks oh well

This book started off really great. I was excited with meeting these characters, seeing them hook up, and finding each other all over again thanks to Fate. The club scene was very hot and it curled my toes (holy shit), and it really just set the bar high for the rest of the story tbh.

Merryn's this young woman who knew what she wanted and didn't put up with other people's crap except for when she was dealing with her boss and co-worker (aka boss's son). Jake was a man who gave up a lot to keep his sister and himself safe, and although they lived in a rough neighborhood, he seemed to have a lot of good things going for him. However, as soon as they met up again, things started to go downhill for me.

Her fearlessness in being brash and often times extreme contrasted with the way she thought (which effected the way she chose to act upon it). Because this book took on their POVs, I had to listen to her submit to her fears of NOT HAVING A JOB and I really couldn't swallow her taking the abuse from her boss and Craig aka ex-sliiiiime..... I just didn't understand how someone feisty like her could take it lying down. Maybe I'm just used to reading about feisty girls who have no down moments. I don't know. It just didn't make sense at the time and it killed the enjoyment for me.

Like, come on! Was she really so beaten down that she'd rather SUCK IT UP and actually WORK for a piece of shit trash like Silver? And I'm sorry, but she was very self righteous with the way she judged Jake. But she'd work for scum and swallow it?

KingfisherWorld upset disappointed cricket ipl

As for Jake, who first started off as this cool guy who handled his problems, he began to turn into a more complicated character. Now I love complications, and I get that he had insecurities just like everyone else, but it was unexpected. He acted and thought one way, but give him a girl who could possibly love him, and suddenly he's thinking that he's only good for one thing: providing the D.

what confused really seriously not amused

I want to argue with him, that he's better and worth more than fucking these women eight ways to Sunday, but it's really hard to do so when he's having sex with Merryn almost right after he hashes out his low self-esteem. Every. Time. It was confusing. And another thing that bugged me was his intense feelings about being used by Merryn and his gang. I could see his doubt with Merryn, but the gang was supposed to be his second family (he says so in the beginning) so I really felt blindsided by this new development. If anything, I always get tripped up when I'm reading a person's POV because I'm in their head, and it just doesn't feel right not hearing whatever problem happens to come up. It feels like it got pulled out of thin air.

And this was my major problem. They can have issues to deal with, they can have that inner conflict and become better people for overcoming it. What I didn't like was the way it was executed. The writing made it seem one way, and gave me something else. There was no build-up, no 'leading' to the way they felt. Like bridges. It was just a bunch of cliffs and I was expected to feel the connection with the imaginary rope line strung across.

britney spears kim kardashian no thank you

Overall, the reading experience was a solid 2.5/3 out of 5 for me only because of my issues with the way it was painted for me. It wasn't a very good first impression, and we all know how important those are when it's all we're given at a time. However, the story itself (plot, writing style, characters) was pretty good, which is why it's a 3.5-4 out of 5. I liked them and their chemistry a lot, and although the sex sets my kindle on fire, I would've liked it more if their relationship was actively engaged in other things besides the physical attraction. The ending certainly didn't do that for me.

Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment