Friday, December 11, 2015

What You Wanted (Chic Manila 5)




It's the classic one-night stand: Beach wedding, bridesmaid, groom's friend. When Andrea and Damon meet, sparks fly, and they give in to the attraction. Sounds simple, but Andrea's still getting over someone, and Damon thought he'd be hooking up with another person that night. It could still be simple, really, if they chalk it up to a weekend tryst and move on.

But one night becomes lunch the week after, and then dinner the next weekend... and before they know it, Andrea and Damon are still together, dealing with the feelings they know they might still have for other people. How hard can it be to get exactly what you want? How do you even know what it is?

-Goodreads



*received an ARC in exchange for an honest review*
*There may be some spoilers here and there...*
*Skip to last paragraph for clean review with extremely minor details NO ONE could avoid to give this a good review. Psycho.*

OHMYGAWD!!! This was so good.


First off, I loved that it was in the Philippines. It's on my bucket list to go there and seeing Andrea and Damon go to the islands in their "spontaneous" adventures made it more exciting. And I've never read a book with Philippines in the setting so maybe that's it, too lol. And her parents! They were adorable, and I don't know why, but them and the food and setting just made it all the cuter. It was just so cute... Anyways, 'What You Wanted' was fucking amazing. Like... I don't even know. Let me try to put my thoughts together.


Where do I begin?! Andrea is this no-nonsense woman who enjoys what she likes and doesn't let anyone tell her different. But when it came to Thad, a friend she'd known for years, all her rules went out the window. She fell for him, and she didn't do a thing about it until the day he accompanied her for a weekend of hiking.

He broke her heart, (that TRAMP) but with the pathetic way he acted, I quickly figured out that he probably liked her a lot and just wanted to dump her before she hurt him. Asshole. Low life son of a gut-licking coooowUGGGHHH. He wasn't in the story enough to make me feel this annoyed, but he seriously played with her mind enough to make her feel weird. And anyone who makes this goddess of a woman weird makes me feel like I need a new pair of balls to hang over my door...


He wasn't a bad guy, she just could've totally done better, which she does. ^-^ The story was great at hooking me in. Not only did the words drip down my mental throat like honey- liked that, did you? -it brought me into Andrea's mind and just as easily made me experience her story as if I were a voyeur to her pain and struggles. Her friends were a nice support, but I didn't get into them as much because of the amount they offered to the story, which is appropriate anyway. Thad and Gretel The Hag (her name's not Gretel I just like calling her that because it reminds me of a hag) were also good supporting characters, and although I despise them both with a passion (Thad more so) I won't lose any sleep over thinking of ways to bury them. This was all about Andrea and Damon, and although there was drama to make things interesting, in the end it always came back to Andrea and knowing what she wanted.

Esguerra did an amazing job at writing this out and sucking me in which, as an avid reader, is something I so appreciate. The characters were great to read and although many came and went to move the story along, I loved that it mainly focused on the couple. More to engulf. ^-^ And the way it happened!!!! Like omg, I'm not even exaggerating. I fucking loved the way they kept coming back to each other. Every time they did, something would happen with their 'others' at the same time, like they'd both get a phone call after a lunch together, blah blah blah. It made for an interesting excuse to constantly see each other in order to further deal with their past issues. And what's more, despite Damon having his own thing with this- er, thing-

*I'm trying to not spoiler, give me a break*

-I loved that he pretty much got over Gretel and was completely invested in Andrea (whom, by the way, was too crazy not to see it).

And Damon... he was such the perfect guy. I'm not kidding.


At first, I thought he was a little shallow (writing wise) because not much was revealed on his behalf, making me question the depth to him as she tried to figure out what the hell love really was. He was great, just like Andrea thought, but I didn't really fall for him until a little later, when things got more obvious. By then I was like, 'Oh shit, you're perfect'. He has a reputation just like Andrea's, but instead of it being flaunted so crassly, it was merely something of his history, because the moment Andrea came into his life, not once did I feel like he was this playboy. He was the perfect gentleman, the sweetest guy who thought of everything. Yeah, they were plotting for revenge against their "others", but I never felt conflicted with loving him. It was as easy as breathing, which got exceptionally better when I was for sure aware that he loved her. By then I was annoyed with Andrea for not realizing it, yet- ohmyfuckingggeeeeeee.


I didn't fall for him until around the time Andrea did. I only thought of how amazingly great and perfect he was, like Andrea. I felt easy with him. Like Andrea. Mother. Fucker. Did the author just write it to where I felt what Andrea did???
*Maybe you're thinking too much.*

coincident i think not photo: Concidence? I think not coincidende-ithinknot.gif

But brilliant deductions aside. I loved how much comfort Damon gave me through Andrea, even more so when he was there to do what she wanted, silently promising to always be there for her until the end. Yes, he had his moments with Gretel the Hag, but that was never an issue.
*shoos it away*

Her mind was a wonder to get lost in, bringing up the issues on whether or not it's really okay to not be a manang like her sister, goody-two-shoe virgin bride with sprinkles of perfection. I loved their relationship and the way they balanced out each other, and although I felt for her whenever her choice of loving got brought up by everyone, I'm glad she stuck to her guns until she felt an appropriate change was for the better.

I so recommend this. Not only was the flow great for the mind, it also revealed plot twist after plot twist until I was so invested, I didn't stop til I saw their happily ever after. Gobbled it up all in one sitting. Esguerra wrote a very beautiful love story about a woman who has no idea what love is until she's wearing the other shoe. I believe it was because he made her feel so comfortable that Andrea was able to love without needing her guard up, and when it came to realizing what she really wanted, I'm glad she was able to do so without me needing to slap some sense into her. The other characters were great at adding to the story, especially her adorable parents, though I may just be partial to them. The growing and withering of love mixed with humor and a few tears made this for a very perfect reading.

*almost as perfect as Damon*


Last Thought:
Where's the nearest gun range?

Happy Reading =^-^=

No comments:

Post a Comment